My Time with PYWWS is just about over

Brian Orpin

Feb 19, 2021, 2:02:51 AM2/19/21
to pywws
Sadly, my second weather station has decided to cease communication between the sensor and the base unit so I am going to have to end my time with PYWWS as the actual external sensor is fine and I really don't want to cough up another £100-£200 plus.

I've run PYWWS for 10 years with a couple of different stations and I just love how it works, and the outputs it produces.

I'm now reading the data via RTL_433, processing it in Node-Red and sending it to InfluxDB & MQTT. I previously explored pushing this data to PYWWS but decided that wasn't something that would work.

I'm starting to replicate some of the functions of PYWWS; first the rain gauge reset/jumps. The plan is to setup InfluxDB queries to get the last hr, last 24Hr etc stats.

The other thing to do is write a processor to take all the raw data collected and import it to InfluxDB (LOL).

I just want to express my thanks to Jim for all his efforts over the years and answering my stupid questions!

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 19, 2021, 2:49:04 AM2/19/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 19/02/2021 07:02, Brian Orpin wrote:
> Sadly, my second weather station has decided to cease communication
> between the sensor and the base unit so I am going to have to end my
> time with PYWWS as the actual external sensor is fine and I really don't
> want to cough up another £100-£200 plus.

I think we'll all reach this point sometime in the next few years.

> I'm now reading the data via RTL_433, processing it in Node-Red and
> sending it to InfluxDB & MQTT. I previously explored pushing this data
> to PYWWS but decided that wasn't something that would work.

The RTL_433 route is probably where I'll go when my base station fails.

> I just want to express my thanks to Jim for all his efforts over the
> years and answering my stupid questions!

They do say that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
I've supplied a few of the latter.
--
Jim Easterbrook <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Brian Orpin

Feb 19, 2021, 7:56:14 AM2/19/21
to pywws
On Friday, 19 February 2021 at 07:49:04 UTC Jim Easterbrook wrote:
On 19/02/2021 07:02, Brian Orpin wrote:

> I'm now reading the data via RTL_433, processing it in Node-Red and
> sending it to InfluxDB & MQTT. I previously explored pushing this data
> to PYWWS but decided that wasn't something that would work.

The RTL_433 route is probably where I'll go when my base station fails.

I wonder if you'll consider looking at injecting the data via other means :). If PYWWS could take the data via MQTT and a JSON payload (appropriately formatted), rather than requesting it from a USB poll, I'd have thought the processing part would largely remain unchanged.

Perhaps you'll have an incentive soon ;)

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 22, 2021, 3:38:46 AM2/22/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 19/02/2021 07:49, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On 19/02/2021 07:02, Brian Orpin wrote:
>> Sadly, my second weather station has decided to cease communication
>> between the sensor and the base unit so I am going to have to end my
>> time with PYWWS as the actual external sensor is fine and I really
>> don't want to cough up another £100-£200 plus.
>
> I think we'll all reach this point sometime in the next few years.

It's a good job I'm not superstitious or I'd think this thread has
jinxed my weather station. The base station died last night, it's not
even showing with lsusb. I bought it in November 2013, so it hasn't done
too badly.

Brian Orpin

Feb 22, 2021, 4:59:17 AM2/22/21
to pywws
Sorry:(

I can help with an RTL_433 setup if you'd like :)

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 23, 2021, 3:03:45 AM2/23/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 22/02/2021 08:39, Jim Easterbrook wrote:

> It's a good job I'm not superstitious or I'd think this thread has
> jinxed my weather station. The base station died last night, it's not
> even showing with lsusb.

Correction - it's not showing with lsusb on the Pi Zero. On my desktop
Linux box it's working just fine.

Jim Easterbrook

Feb 23, 2021, 3:08:15 AM2/23/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
On 23/02/2021 08:04, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On 22/02/2021 08:39, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
>>
>> It's a good job I'm not superstitious or I'd think this thread has
>> jinxed my weather station. The base station died last night, it's not
>> even showing with lsusb.
>
> Correction - it's not showing with lsusb on the Pi Zero. On my desktop
> Linux box it's working just fine.

And powering off the Pi has sorted it out. Never underestimate the
usefulness of "have you tried turning it off and back on again?".

Igg

Feb 25, 2021, 3:14:43 PM2/25/21
to pywws
I'm getting to a similar situation too with regard to Fine Offset stuff.  I've cursed & tussled with it for a number of years, but I'm grateful for it providing a relatively low cost way into the personal weather station world.  I think that we are fleeced by going down the more established routes of Davis et al.  I've also enjoyed Jim's contributions with pywws. Simple but versatile ... and it encouraged me to delve into Python, which I've used extensively since first using pywws back at the end of 2007(? that's when I got my first weather station anyway ;)).

Moving forward I intend to go down the WeatherDuino route (https://www.meteocercal.info/forum/index.php).  This provides me with control over what weather instruments I would like/can afford, and seems easy to be able to control/use/process.  I'm intending to start out just recycling my Fine Offset stuff, and going from there. Oh, the forum is very friendly and helpful too.

Ian Sutherland

Mark Fraser

Jun 9, 2021, 6:17:33 PM6/9/21
to pywws
Think I will have to do the same soon as replacing items is getting expensive. How far have you got with your code?