master or main branch in git

אורי

Jun 16, 2021, 12:28:22 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What is the difference between master branch or main branch as the default branch in my repository? Is there a reason to rename the default branch? I read about git renaming default branches, but I don't understand the reason why to rename the branch. What do you think?

Thanks,

Lior Kaplan

Jun 16, 2021, 12:45:28 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
It's done to remove master-slave terminology from git and other software.

On the technical side - no difference.

Kaplan

Gabor Szabo

Jun 16, 2021, 4:31:29 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
I have heard the term master-slave in many software, but I have never heard it in regards to git.
Have you?
Gabor

Lior Kaplan

Jun 16, 2021, 4:35:50 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/django/django
Notice the default branch name.

I don't think git itself changed the default.

אורי

Jun 16, 2021, 5:16:37 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

I don't think there is a slave in git. Only master.

I think git changed it to main too. I'm not sure. Try to create a new repository with git and see what happens. (it might depend on the version you are using, try using the latest version).

אורי

Jun 16, 2021, 5:37:46 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Git for windows latest version (2.32.0) creates a new repository with branch master.

Shai Berger

Jun 16, 2021, 5:46:13 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:35:35 +0300
Lior Kaplan <li...@kaplanopensource.co.il> wrote:

> https://github.com/django/django
> Notice the default branch name.
>
> I don't think git itself changed the default.

Git didn't, github did.

Emanuel

Jun 16, 2021, 6:29:13 AM6/16/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com