Why Python virtual environment is different from other languages

Noam Fishman

May 31, 2021, 5:01:08 AM5/31/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
I have 2 questions about virtual environment in Python.

1) What are the technical differences between Python's virtual environment and NODE JS package.json

2) Why Python developers have a high awareness of virtual environment and in other languages less

Thanks!
Noam

Avraham Serour

May 31, 2021, 5:15:13 AM5/31/21
to pywe...@googlegroups.com
Tell me how nodejs environment works then I can tell the difference

2) we are better programmers

Meir Kriheli

May 31, 2021, 8:30:32 AM5/31/21
to pyweb-il
Hi,

Actually not better programmers - with crappier tools.

To simplify:

Python's venv are path based. Has no package.json/lock facilities (One needs 3rd party tools).
Node's npm looks under node_modules for local packages (and with npx for executables),

Since Python has no such facility, to have different packages and versions for different projects one must use a venv.

Cheers