Regarding- time series data

Manikandan Sathiyanarayanan

Dec 5, 2022, 10:10:44 AM12/5/22
to PyWavelets
Hi all,

i am new to wavelet transform and i would like to use  ndvi time series data using wavelet transform. could anyone help me to prepare input data for wavelet transform ? i have TS object and please let anyone help me to sort out this issue
Message has been deleted

Deepu

May 22, 2023, 2:07:06 AM5/22/23
to PyWavelets
Certainly! To prepare your NDVI time series data for wavelet transform, you can follow these steps:

1. Import the required libraries:
```python
import numpy as np
import pywt
```

2. Convert your time series data into a numpy array:
Assuming your time series data is stored in a variable called `ts_data`, you can convert it to a numpy array using:
```python
ndvi_data = np.array(ts_data)
```

3. Normalize the data:
Normalize the data to have zero mean and unit variance. This step helps in achieving better results with the wavelet transform.
```python
mean = np.mean(ndvi_data)
std = np.std(ndvi_data)
ndvi_data = (ndvi_data - mean) / std
```

4. Choose the wavelet and decomposition level:
Select a suitable wavelet and the desired decomposition level for your analysis. For example, you can use the Daubechies 4 (db4) wavelet and a decomposition level of 5.
```python
wavelet = 'db4'
level = 5
```

5. Perform the wavelet decomposition:
Apply the wavelet decomposition using the `pywt.wavedec` function. This function decomposes the time series into approximation and detail coefficients at each level.
```python
coeffs = pywt.wavedec(ndvi_data, wavelet, level=level)
```

6. Access the coefficients:
The `coeffs` variable now contains the approximation and detail coefficients at each level of the wavelet decomposition. You can access them using indexing. For example, `coeffs[0]` gives the approximation coefficients at the first level, `coeffs[1]` gives the detail coefficients at the first level, and so on.

7. Further analysis or visualization:
You can perform further analysis on the wavelet coefficients or visualize them using plots or spectrograms, depending on your specific requirements.

It's worth noting that the choice of wavelet and decomposition level may vary depending on the characteristics of your data and the analysis goals. You may need to experiment with different options to find the most suitable configuration for your NDVI time series.

I hope this helps you prepare your NDVI time series data for wavelet transform analysis. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions!