Reading GMS VISSR data

Mark Lowenstein

May 31, 2022, 4:18:53 AM5/31/22
to pytroll
Hello everyone,

Me and my colleagues are currently conducting a research project which involves satellite imagery from the 90s and 80s in the Asia-Pacific region and I wonder if Satpy/pytroll have such capability to process GMS satellite data from that time.

It seems that there are no publicly available software for reading such data and many pre-processed imagery sources have undesirable traits that make them unsuitable for our usage.

Thank you,

- Mark

Stephan Finkensieper

May 31, 2022, 9:50:44 AM5/31/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I have been working on a GMS-5 VISSR reader some time ago, but never had the opportunity to finish it. I've uploaded the current work in progress here:

If someone in your team has time to work on this, I'm happy to team up!

Cheers,
Stephan

Mark Lowenstein

Jun 1, 2022, 9:57:20 AM6/1/22
to pytroll
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the heads up! Although that's out of our scope at the moment we'll look into the possibilites in the near future to work on this.

Regards,

- Mark