"master" to "main"

David Hoese

May 4, 2021, 2:21:54 PM5/4/21
to pytroll

Hi everyone,

The Pytroll core developers have just finished renaming the default branch for almost all of the GitHub repositories under the "pytroll" organization from "master" to "main". The decision to perform this rename follows the decision by many other open source communities who have done the same. We empathize with those that find the term offensive and we don't see a reason to continue using it in our projects.

For those of you that have local clones of a Pytroll repository you should be able to update your system to point to the new "main" branch by running:

git branch -m master main

git fetch origin

git branch -u origin/main main

git remote set-head origin -a

Otherwise, most users should not see a difference resulting from this change. For anyone who has any technical issues resulting from this change, please file a bug report on the associated repository. For anyone who has a "political" issue with this change or would like to discuss it further, feel free to contact me directly by email or by direct message on the Pytroll slack. Thanks.

Dave