Pytroll Contributor Week Spring 2021

Raspaud Martin

Apr 26, 2021, 8:12:40 AMApr 26
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

The next Pytroll Contributor Week is coming up and will be held online
due to the current COVID-19 situation.

It will take place the week spanning from May 17th to 21st. The virtual
venue will be provided at a later date.

Is this PCW for me ?
--------------------

The Pytroll Contributors Week is for everyone who wants to learn and/or
work with Pytroll modules.

This PCW is an event tailored for people that are familiar with some of
the pytroll modules and want to learn more or contribute code or
documentation. The interaction with the core developers makes it
quicker to form a plan on how to solve an issue or add a new feature.

Over the years many users participated to learn about pytroll, through
installing modules from scratch and running through tutorials (for
example https://github.com/pytroll/tutorial-satpy-half-day).
The in-person interaction with the core developers in the past made it
easy to ask quick questions to clarify some points that may not be
obvious when running the tutorial.

Due to the virtual nature of the event, the interactions in this PCW
will be different. For those of you who are interested in learning to
use pytroll modules, we encourage you to use slack to ask questions
during the PCW (a specific #learning channel is available to ask
questions), and we can organize Q&A session if needed.

Organization of the PCW
-----------------------

In order to make the PCW as successful as possible, we have come up
with a few ways to optimize the workflow.

1. Register your attendance

In order to give every participants the right permissions for the
different tools we will be using, it is important that you register
your attendance: write your name, email and other information on this
spreadsheet no later than May 10th!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NyH0dvzPL8OEx-lSdIKeNXuRb1GLwcskK7sJxKVoeFg/edit?usp=sharing

2. Issue board

If you intend to work with improving pytroll modules, make sure you
register issues, pull requests or notes on the issue board set up for
the event. https://github.com/orgs/pytroll/projects/8

This way we can follow the progress of everyone and maybe form small
teams of related interests.

Please tell us if you can't access the board so that we can fix the
permissions for you.

3. Status meetings

Since we won't be physically in the same place, we will have many
different time zones to cover. In order to make the most of it, we will
gather in online video-meetings (the link will be provided at a later
date) at regular intervals, for short (max 30 minutes) status updates.
The times for these meetings will be:

3:00, 7:00, 11:00, 15:00, 19:00, 23:00 UTC

Obviously, we are expecting participants to only join those meetings
that suit their work schedule.

4. General communication

In between the status meetings, the majority of communication will be
held on the pytroll slack. People working on related topics are very
welcome to create their own channel on the pytroll slack (prefix it
with `pcw_`), use the call functionality if needed, or use video
conferencing tools for mini-meetings.

Best regards,
Martin on behalf of the PCW organizers

Raspaud Martin

May 4, 2021, 4:40:45 AMMay 4
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Second call, don't forget to register you attendance!

Best regards,
Martin