Composites with night background produces images with wrong timestamp in filenames

Isaac Wilmur

Jun 21, 2022, 8:48:38 AM6/21/22
to pytroll
Hi everyone,

I've recently found out that composites that utilize "night_ir_with_background" produces images with wrong timestamp in the filename, It's unfortunate as I also use this information for further processing.

Below is an example with ABI, running script, images and debug log. I created an additional composite that takes C02 instead of true color for faster testing but it should also happen with the default "true_color_with_night_ir" as well.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Isaac
night_ir_alpha_2022_06_16_00_00_20.jpg
gen.py
night_ir_with_background_hires_2022_06_18_18_10_06.jpg
db.txt
red_with_night_ir_2022_06_17_09_05_13.jpg
C02_2022_06_16_00_00_20.jpg

David Hoese

Jun 21, 2022, 9:05:45 AM6/21/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm surprised this isn't complained about
more as I'm sure if it is affecting you it is affecting everyone.

Some questions for you:

1. What version of satpy are you using?
2. What time does your ABI data have? I'm guessing the time produced is
the current date/time?

The main issue is that we don't typically get a time from the background
black marble image, but Satpy typically requires one so during the
reading of the black marble image we assign a time to it (the current
time). It appears that one or more composites is not ignoring this
"fake" time properly.

Dave
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pytroll/3606c744-57e8-4685-96db-afe678532b81n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pytroll/3606c744-57e8-4685-96db-afe678532b81n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

Isaac Wilmur

Jun 21, 2022, 10:11:23 AM6/21/22
to pytroll
Hi Dave,

I'm currently using satpy 0.36.0 installed from pip.

ABI data time should be 20221670000208 or ~2022-06-16 00:00:20 as indicated by nc dataset name.

As for the time produced it doesn't seem to match current datetime but I've noticed subsequent runs with the same conditions produce images with incrementing wrong timestamps.

Isaac