Satpy and Pyresample released

David Hoese

Dec 17, 2021, 10:25:21 PM12/17/21
to pytroll
Hi everyone,

We've been forgetting to update the mailing list on software updates, but I thought I'd start up the practice again. I just released a new version of Satpy version 0.33.1 which fixes some important issues from the previous release. Combined with pyresample 1.22.3 which was recently released we've seen some major memory usage improvements when processing ABI and AHI HSD data. There may be other types of workflows that will see improvements, but we're keeping a look out for degraded performance (one possible case already has a bug report filed). If it has been a while since you've updated these libraries in your work it may be time to attempt an update and let us know how it goes.

If you're curious to learn how the profiling for these performance improvements went see the related issue here https://github.com/pytroll/satpy/issues/1902. We've seen 10s of gigabytes less memory used in some cases.

For the full changelog of the satpy release see: https://github.com/pytroll/satpy/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md
For the full changelog of the pyresample release see: https://github.com/pytroll/pyresample/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md

Dave