FCI true colour

Nigel Atkinson

May 19, 2022, 5:46:56 AM5/19/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I note that SatPy can read the EUMETSAT simulated FCI data with the reader 'fci_l1c_nc'. But if I try scn.load(['truecolor']) it fails with "Unknown datasets". Is this something that is planned for a future release or am I doing something wrong?

Nigel

Adam Dybbroe

May 19, 2022, 6:14:51 AM5/19/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com, adam.d...@smhi.se

Nigel,

(now also on the list)

Isn't it called "true_color"?

You should be able to see all available datasets and composites, e.g. via the available_dataset_names() or available_composite_names() methods on the Scene object.

-Adam

Adam Dybbroe,
Satellite Remote Sensing Scientist,
Atmospheric Research unit, Research and Development
Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI)
www.pytroll.org
nwcsaf.smhi.se
www.smhi.se

Andrea Meraner

May 19, 2022, 6:16:08 AM5/19/22
to pytroll
Hi Nigel,

you should be able to get a true color RGB using "true_color_raw".
In general, you can check for possible composites using "scn.available_composite_names()" (and for datasets, "scn.available_dataset_names()"). Please note that due to the current status of the test data and the reader, some RGBs might not yet work or deliver unexpected results.
We will add full support for RGBs from FCI data, probably also with custom recipes, in the next releases.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Andrea

Raspaud Martin

May 19, 2022, 6:30:37 AM5/19/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nigel,

I'm guessing the true_color composite has not been configured yet for
fci (probably because it didn't look too good on the test data :) ).
But other composites, like "airmass" should be working.

Best regards,
Martin

Nigel Atkinson

May 19, 2022, 6:33:15 AM5/19/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrea & Adam,

Yes, it accepts "true_color_raw", though for some reason the resulting image is monochrome. Whereas "natural_color" works nicely. Thanks for the tips, and the warning that some RGBs might not work!

Nigel

Message has been deleted

Nigel Atkinson

May 24, 2022, 8:18:23 AM5/24/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I saw the announcement. We will download it.

Thanks,

Nigel

On Fri, 20 May 2022 at 13:03, Andrea Meraner <andrea....@hotmail.it> wrote:
Hi Nigel,

I think the RGB is monochromatic because you are using some older test data, where some channels were identical (i.e. all containing the closest SEVIRI channel, e.g. vis_04, vis_05 and vis_06 were all a copy of SEVIRI VIS006). So combining the same array in an RGB could give you a grayscale image :)

Just a couple of hours ago, some new spectrally representative data has been released, see entry in https://www.eumetsat.int/mtg-test-data . If you use this data, you will get a realistic "true_color_raw".

Cheers,
Andrea