Spring Pytroll Contributors Week

Martin Raspaud

Mar 24, 2023, 7:40:38 AM3/24/23
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

We are happy to announce the next Pytroll Contributor Week (PCW), which
will take place from Monday 22 May to Friday 26 May 2023. The meeting
will be in person, and will be hosted by SMHI in Norrköping, Sweden.
Participation is free of charge.

The PCW is for everyone who wants to learn and/or work with Pytroll
modules. The event is tailored for people who are already familiar with
Pytroll modules and want to learn more or contribute code or
documentation. The interaction with the core developers makes it quicker
to form a plan on how to solve an issue or add a new feature.

Over the years many users participated to learn about Pytroll, through
installing modules from scratch and running through tutorials (for
example, https://github.com/pytroll/tutorial-satpy-half-day). The
in-person interaction with the core developers in the past made it easy
to ask quick questions to clarify some points that may not be obvious
when running the tutorial.

For planning purposes, and in order to give every participant the right
permissions for the different tools we will be using and receive
information about the venue, please register your attendance by May 1st
by entering your details into this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OnAm0OgUF8qLYnlufxSvgC_UE-v-jYKGett61KMEP9M/edit?usp=sharing

If you intend to work with improving Pytroll modules, please register
issues, pull requests or notes on the issue board set up for the event
at https://github.com/orgs/pytroll/projects/12

This way we can follow the progress of everyone and form teams of
related interests.

Please tell us if you can't access the board so that we can fix the
permissions for you.

The agenda will be quite simple and involve hands-on work during the day
and a round-table status meeting before we end the days. Presentations
by participants are always welcome, so don't hesitate to prepare a few
slides if you think you have something interesting to show.

For those who cannot be there in person, we will of course be online
during the week and be able to chat on slack from time to time. This
will however not be organised as a hybrid meeting, so we cannot
guarantee a video stream of the status meetings for example.
Note that the Autumn PCW is planned however to be fully remote.

Administration information regarding the venue and social event are
going to be announced by SMHI at a later time.

We are excited to meet many of you in Norrköping between 22 May and 26
May. Please do not hesitate to share this announcement with anyone who
you think might be interested.

Best regards,
Martin Raspaud (SMHI) on behalf of the PCW organizers