Georeferencing Image

b. schitter

Mar 27, 2023, 3:02:37 AM3/27/23
to pytroll
Hi everybody,

I use satpy to create jpeg and georefenenced tif images - that works fine.

Is it possible to create georeferenced jpeg directly with satpy too?

Best regards,
Bernhard

David Hoese

Mar 27, 2023, 11:27:38 AM3/27/23
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernhard,

What is your end goal? What tool do you hope to use these files with?

I'm not aware of a standard widely-used JPEG-based and georeferenced file format. The Satpy geotiff writer uses rasterio/GDAL underneath so theoretically it shouldn't be too hard to use any image-like format that GDAL supports with this writer, but would still require minor tweaks in the code to allow for it. If you're concerned with the file size of the geotiffs you're producing you could always use JPEG compression with the geotiff writer (again, provided via GDAL) but this is just the compression algorithm, not the file format.

Dave

Martin Raspaud

Mar 28, 2023, 3:53:20 AM3/28/23
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernhard,

As far as I know neither satpy nor the libraries it depends on have
support for a georeferenced jpeg format. By googling quickly, I could
not find any prominent standard for this, do you have one you could link to?

Otherwise, depending on your use case, note that geotiff supports jpeg
tile compression, and that is available directly upon saving in satpy.

Best regards,
Martin
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted