Rayleigh scattering calculation

Roman SvK

Nov 29, 2022, 11:24:22 AM11/29/22
to pytroll
Hallo All,
I am new user , and I need help about rayleigh scattering calculation for  goes 16 sat. ,
I have ready these things satellite view zenith angle, the solar zenith angle, and the satellite-sun azimuth difference angle and  I downloaded pyspectral_rayleigh_correction_luts.tgz ,
How I can application LUTs values to satellite reflectance values?
I need any formula how do to it.

Thanks for help

Adam Dybbroe

Nov 29, 2022, 2:11:39 PM11/29/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com, adam.d...@smhi.se

Roman,

Did you yet check the Pyspectral documentation? Here about the atmospheric correction in the visible part of the spectra:

https://pyspectral.readthedocs.io/en/latest/rayleigh_correction.html

With Pyspectral you can derive directly the reflectance correction (to be subtracted from the observed reflectance) given the satellite-sun viewing angles as you mention. There is no need to download the LUTs from Zenodo separately, Pyspectral does this for you behind the scene.

You may also have a go at Satpy to read and manipulate satellite data. Satpy use Pyspectral under the hood.

-Adam

Adam Dybbroe,
Satellite Remote Sensing Scientist
Research lead - Nowcasting and Remote Sensing
Meteorological Research unit, Research and Development
Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI)
www.pytroll.org
nwcsaf.smhi.se
www.smhi.se

Roman SvK

Nov 30, 2022, 12:26:29 AM11/30/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the answer, Adam, I work in c#, not in python, I build my own code

Dňa ut 29. 11. 2022, 20:11 Adam Dybbroe <adam.d...@smhi.se> napísal(a):

Raspaud Martin

Nov 30, 2022, 2:48:28 AM11/30/22
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roman,

In the documentation page provided by Adam for pyspectral you will find
a link to a scientific paper describing the theory and formulas behind
the correction.

If you want to use the look up tables, I'm afraid there is no
instructions for it at the moment, but you can have a look at the
pyspectral source code for more info:
https://github.com/pytroll/pyspectral/blob/main/pyspectral/rayleigh.py

Best regards,
Martin

Roman SvK

Jan 12, 2023, 11:33:00 AM1/12/23
to pytroll
Thanks for answer Martin,
I get value for rayleight correction, and now I understand correctly rayleight value i substract from reflectance value ?
Dátum: streda 30. novembra 2022, čas: 8:48:28 UTC+1, odosielateľ: Raspaud Martin

Raspaud Martin

Jan 13, 2023, 3:05:28 AM1/13/23
to pyt...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2023-01-12 at 08:33 -0800, Roman SvK wrote:
> Thanks for answer Martin,
> I get value for rayleight correction, and now I understand correctly
> rayleight value i substract from reflectance value ?

Yes,this is correct!

Best regards,
Martin