Question about upb = UPB(Serial('/dev/ttyS0', 4800))

davidliles10

Dec 19, 2016, 9:53:20 PM12/19/16
to pytomation
I went through the installation and configuration process minus the Zwave features.

I am using the USB computer interface module from Simply Automated and I noticed when I connect it to a USB port a hiddev0 file gets created in /dev/usb/

If I'm understanding the documentation and examples correctly I should use the following: upb = USB(Serial('/dev/usb/hiddev0', 4800)) based on what I'm seeing when I plug in the CIM

When I run the code all I get is the following and nothing happens:

Could not import Harmony Library
Could not import RPI library
Error importing Openzwave and/or Python-Openzwave
Using /dev/usb/hiddev0 for serial communication
Updating status...

Is this still correct? If not, what should I be doing?

-David

George Farris

Dec 21, 2016, 5:38:01 PM12/21/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
What distro are you running? USB serial devices generally show up as
/dev/ttyUSB0 or possibly /dev/ttyACM0 but those are normally for Arduino or
other small controller boards

I would check /dev/ttyUSB0 or 1 or 2.

Unplug your device and look at the listing in /dev then plug it in and see
if the system has added a port.

Cheers
George

David Liles

Dec 22, 2016, 7:32:49 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
George, thanks for replying.

I am on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and I downloaded Pytomation from the .com web site.

When I plug in the UMC-USB-W a new folder shows up in /dev called usb and in that folder is a file called hiddev0. I also noticed in the /dev folder a file called hidraw0 is also created. When I unplug the UMC both the hidraw0 file and the usb folder in dev disappear.

No ttyUSB files get created when I plug in the UMC

-David

Jason Sharpee

Dec 22, 2016, 7:37:35 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
The device you have doesn't appear to communicate with a pseudo serial connection and sadly this not supported in this project.

From their own site:  http://www.simply-automated.com/products/items/UMC-USB-W_usb_interface.php

"The UMC-USB-W is ideal for an installer configuring any UPB devices with a laptop personal computer (PC) using UPStart software, since it plugs in to the popular USB port. The UMC-USB is not recommended for connection of home automation controllers.

The UMC-DB9-W is ideal for controller applications since it uses the highly reliable RS-232C serial interface; common to most desktop PCs, home automation controllers and alarm panels. The UMC-DB9 can also be used to configure any UPB devices.

"

Jason Sharpee

Dec 22, 2016, 7:42:35 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
My guess is they didn't want to pay to create/ support a usb-serial device driver so they went with a lower friction HID protocol.

David Liles

Dec 22, 2016, 7:43:45 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jason, that clears everything up. I don't have an RS-232 on my development system nor the system this will eventually run on. Do you know if a USB to RS-232 adaptor will work? Would be nice to know before buying one.

Thanks
-David

Jason Sharpee

Dec 22, 2016, 7:46:14 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
I use an FTDI USB serial adapter on my UPB PIM and just about everything else that hooks up to my legacy free server.   I have heard prolific based devices work as well.

Jason Sharpee

Dec 22, 2016, 7:51:24 AM12/22/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Fyi: I don't have UPB anymore in my current home.   After a lightning strike, all of my UPB light switches were fried and Insteon now has a better ROI for residential HA applications.

George Farris

Dec 23, 2016, 2:36:34 PM12/23/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Just be aware that if you go with Insteon, be prepared to do some debugging of signal, you will most certainly have to buy some filers or build your own like I have and when your lights suddenly stop turning off or come on randomly, it because you just plugged in your phone charger or laptop without using a filter.
The newer Insteon tries to get around this by using dual mode powerline and RF which helps.

George

Jason Sharpee

Dec 23, 2016, 2:45:16 PM12/23/16
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I believe Insteon gave up on power line only devices years ago.   All the stuff I install is dual band and works great regardless of phase, noise, etc.

UPB unfortunately isn't as responsive and has line noise issues to debug as well.  It was certainly better than Insteon power line in its day, but RF is the way forward.

davidliles10

Dec 27, 2016, 1:51:11 PM12/27/16
to pytomation
I have had my UPB network running for almost two years and have been very happy with the easy of configuration and haven't had any problems with it. All but about three light switches and several outlets have been installed. It integrated with my Elk security panel very easily too.

As for the integration of UPB with Pytomation, I contacted Simply Automated and they are going to exchange my UMC-USB for a UMC-DB9 but before I do that, is anyone successfully using a UMC-DB9 with a usb - rs232 adapter with Pytomation? Simply Automated so to make sure the adapter uses a FTDI chipset.

-David

George Farris

Jan 1, 2017, 3:17:43 PM1/1/17
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Jason is the only one I know ever had any UPB, maybe he can answer.

Happy New Year all.

George

Jason Sharpee

Jan 1, 2017, 4:02:29 PM1/1/17
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have used both the prolific and the FTDI adapters with the UPB serial pim.