Some Questions

Ronnie Evans

Feb 26, 2018, 7:12:50 PM2/26/18
to pytomation
Hi everyone,

I have a some questions I haven't been able to find an answer to.

1. How are the automatic and manual web buttons for a device like a light used?
2. I would like to make an arduino thermostat. Should it be possible to use the thermostat device with the arduino analog?
3. Should my rooms automatically change to vacant or do i need to add something to trigger that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

George Farris

Feb 26, 2018, 8:15:12 PM2/26/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, 2018-02-26 at 16:12 -0800, Ronnie Evans wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a some questions I haven't been able to find an answer to.
>
> 1. How are the automatic and manual web buttons for a device like a
> light used?

I have never used this feature and I don't think we have it documented
so this will be a good excuse to do just that.

Without digging into the code maybe Jason could answer this off the top
of his head.

> 2. I would like to make an arduino thermostat. Should it be possible
> to use the thermostat device with the arduino analog?

It should be possible, again this has not been tested by me so lets see
if we can also document this. I'll have to fire up an arduino and see
what the analog looks like in Pytomation. I did write the script but
haven't used it for years.

> 3. Should my rooms automatically change to vacant or do i need to add
> something to trigger that?

You need to add something to trigger the rooms, there would be no way
for them to know if they are vacant or not. Motion detectors, sound
detectors, I think Jason used an in floor pressure sensor at one point.

Anyway I'll try and give you whatever help I can and I can update
documentation as we go. If you like, you could contribute by writing
docs and submitting them to me and I'll add them to the web site.

Cheers
George

Ronnie Evans

Feb 27, 2018, 6:33:55 PM2/27/18
to pytomation
Ok thank you I will start playing with it and see what happens. Anything I find along the way I will post. I would like to help any way I can.

David

Feb 28, 2018, 2:14:38 AM2/28/18
to pytomation
I never used it, but when I looked the the StateDevice code a while back, it looked like automatic and manual is supposed to enable/disable your mapped commands/timers.

George Farris

Feb 28, 2018, 7:54:14 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Who wrote the Thermostat device? There is no documentation for it.

George

Jason Sharpee

Feb 28, 2018, 7:57:20 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Guilty as charged. 😁

Screenshot_20180228-195610.jpg

Jason Sharpee

Feb 28, 2018, 8:00:08 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
I generally wrote pytomation with a TDD/BDD approach, so most functionality use cases should be represented by a hopefully easily understood unit test.

George Farris

Feb 28, 2018, 8:05:21 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
I see in the source there is a
for level in range(60,90):
self.COMMANDS.append((Command.SETPOINT, level))

Is the 60,90 meant to be temp in F?

Is this modelled after a particular device?

I see there are a few thermostat interfaces, do they work?

It would be nice to fill in this info if possible. Would you be
willing to send any notes you have?

George
> > > send an email to pytomation+...@googlegroups.com.

George Farris

Feb 28, 2018, 8:09:27 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com
Yes except I don't think anyone coming to the web page will read unit tests. Also I forgot to look in there myself:-(

David

Feb 28, 2018, 8:17:18 PM2/28/18
to pytomation
Yes, I built and use the Venstar ColorTouch thermostat interface. Dustin had his working too, but it might need encoding changes, for Python 3.

Funny that you bring up the setpoint; that actually needs updating as it only handles a single setpoint, but automatic mode uses two. I have a workaround for it in the Venstar ColorTouch interface code.

Jason Sharpee

Feb 28, 2018, 8:35:36 PM2/28/18
to pytom...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 28, 2018 8:05 PM, "George Farris" <farr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see in the source there is a
    for level in range(60,90):
        self.COMMANDS.append((Command.SETPOINT, level))

Is the 60,90 meant to be temp in F?

Yes.  Sorry for being non international

Is this modelled after a particular device?

Yes. Sorta.  It was a radio thermostat that was being driven by it.  It did not have an automatic mode in the actual device, can do I built up some of that functionality in the driver in pytomation. Could just operate in either heat or cold and the switchover happened in pyto.

I see there are a few thermostat interfaces, do they work?

It would be nice to fill in this info if possible.  Would you be
willing to send any notes you have?

My only documentation is in code or in the unit tests.

George