Pythonxy on Ubuntu 15.04

Federico Miraglia

May 6, 2015, 4:56:23 AM5/6/15
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have to install Pythonxy on Ubuntu 15.04.

Could anyone tell me what precedure I have to follow?

Thanks

Claude

May 6, 2015, 5:13:56 AM5/6/15
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
For Linux (Debian, Ubuntu ...etc ) you DON't need to install PythonXY, which is interesting for Windows users, because they
don't have an integrated package installer-maintainer (like apt / aptitude).
But the  LIST of pakages in PythonXY is however interesting for the coherence of the whole Python Packages in your system.
By coherence I mean it's a good choice for non-redondancy.

Then, for taking the whole benefit of  PythonXY on Ubuntu (what ever the version):
-- Take a look at the LIST of pakages they have in.
-- On ubuntu, have a look at all python packages available which are much more.
-- Choose these you need

1-
>> apt-cache search python-***
OR
>> aptitude search  python-***

and install these you have selectionned :
2
>> apt-get install python-vtk (as an example)
OR
>> aptitude install python-vtk

3- And try to install ONLY what you need, if you know ...

That's all.
Hope this helps.
Claude

Claude

May 6, 2015, 5:25:22 AM5/6/15
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Just a remark more:

In PythonXY, there are some goodies which don't come from Linux community, but from WinUsers community :
from memory :    python-guidata,   python-guiqwt, spyder  ...
They are now in the UBUNTU packages, perhaps not with  an up-to-date version.
The work of   PythonXY  is then appreciated in the whole Python community , independant of OS (Linux or Windows).

Good luck
Claude