So pythonxy-linux is dead?

stochastic

Sep 4, 2010, 4:24:51 PM9/4/10
to pythonxy-linux
What happened here? I really would like to get pythonxy installed on
ubuntu, but this forum (and anything to do with pythonxy on linux)
seems to be dead.

Kindof ironic that pythonxy is better supported on windows than on
linux, IMHO...

Thierry Chappuis

Sep 5, 2010, 3:18:46 AM9/5/10
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe because on most linux distributions, it is not a great deal to
install all the libraries packaged with pythonxy. On windows, it can be
a nightmare for a newby scientist to e.g. compile the Enthought Suite.
From the pointview of python scientific computing, your Ubuntu is
delivered with all batteries included.

Best wishes

Thierry

Le 04.09.2010 22:24, stochastic a �crit :

Tim Michelsen

Sep 11, 2010, 7:14:57 AM9/11/10
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com, pierre....@gmail.com, cgo...@gmail.com
Dear all,
a while ago I created a page for Python XY
(https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy) on Launchpad. The idea is to collect
code (https://code.launchpad.net/~pythonxy) and work on packaging for
Ubuntu-based distributions.

The Ubunu science page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuScience)
lists some metapackages for science
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScienceMetaPackages).
My idea was to build metapackages for Ubuntu that replicate the contents
provideed by the Windows installer of PythonXY ().
These metapackages shall be put here:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/metapackages

Since for some software there is no native Ubuntu package, I though to
start providing
development snapshots
(https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/individual-devel) and release
packages (https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/individual-releases)
of these packages.
If we do good, we could then propose these packages for inclusion in Ubuntu.
Some examples for such packages are: Spyder 2.x, various Scikits and the
new packages of Pierre.

I have created a dedicated project package for Spyder
(https://code.launchpad.net/spyderlib) and started with packaging it.
The development version is at:
https://code.launchpad.net/~pythonxy/spyderlib/spyder_devel

You may subscribe there to get notified for changes in tip, or use it as
starting point for development of Spyder plugins.

I may add that this initiative...
* ... shall not interfere but rather complement
- this google group (http://groups.google.com/group/pythonxy-linux) and
- the web site http://pythonxy-linux.googlecode.com/
* ... intends to provide the neccessary collaboration point for the
common goal
* ... is a voluntary activity and thus depends on available time of the
member(s).
* ... lives and grows with the contribution from interested developers
and users.

I hope you appreciate these actions.

If there is any copyright or name coalision issue (with Python XY) or
any other objection please tell me and I withdraw the initiative.
But if you like it, just contribute.

Best regards to all,
Timmie

Tim Michelsen

Sep 11, 2010, 9:11:50 AM9/11/10
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com, spyd...@googlegroups.com
> Since for some software there is no native Ubuntu package, I though to
> start providing
> development snapshots
> (https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/individual-devel) and release
> packages (https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/individual-releases)
> of these packages.
I pondered around and checked things out:
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/SourceBuilds/Recipes

Not quite easy at first place for non-debian insiders.
But I succeeded to build Spyder:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/individual-devel

I also configure the recipie to run a daily build for the development
code of Spyder:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+recipe/spyder2.x

Please test these packages and provide feedback.

Regards,
Timmie