Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 install problem

Scott

Feb 13, 2009, 10:36:58 AM2/13/09
to pythonxy-linux, sas...@afit.edu
I was able to install pythonxy base and dev according to "aptitude
search pythonxy" however I cannot find it.

When I type pythonxy in the terminal the command is not found.
find / -iname pythonxy* only finds the docs.

What am I missing? This may be a double post.

V/R

Scott

Claude

Feb 13, 2009, 11:05:06 AM2/13/09
to pythonxy-linux
Hello, Scott

You have trouble because you are with intrepid, not hardy.
This repo is hardy Ubuntu 8.04.
Your package manager ignore those packages which are not intrepid.
Keeping on with hardy is my choice, because hardy is "Long Term
Support".
I think there is no need to be ubuntu-up-to-date to develop scientific
python applications.

Claude

Philipp Lies

Feb 13, 2009, 11:25:01 AM2/13/09
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hey Claude,

I think you missed Scotts point. Scott as well as I was able to install
your repository on intrepid amd64 using the hardy packages. And I think
there is severe reasoning for using intrepid as hardy is quite
conservative with respect to package updates. Numpy 1.0.4 is standard
hardy package and quite old. You can not use savez() for example to save
multiple arrays - a function which I use once per script at least. So
not supporting the latest stable ubuntu will just keep people from using
pythonxy. From my experience, hardy is used in companies with full-time
admins and those prefer not to use third-party metapackages as pythonxy,
while intrepid is used by home users and self-maintained company desktop
PCs and those people would use pythonxy more often.

Returning to the topic: I think Scott was trying to find a pythonxy
binary as the pyhtonxy-window in windows. But this does not exist.
Scott, If you want to run the pythonxy-applications (sciTE, ipython,
...) you have to run them individually. So run
ipython
for the simple ipython shell
ipython -pylab
for the matplotlib pylab extensions etc. (see ipython documentation for
further options, quite a lot)
and run
scite
for the editor.

hope this helps

Philipp

Scott

Feb 13, 2009, 12:06:20 PM2/13/09
to pythonxy-linux
How do pythonxy linux and windows compare in terms of feature?

I thought that pythonxy was something of an IDE with self contained
newest stable module (like sage math). It sounds like pythonxy for
linux is the collection of its parts and those parts are the same as
the standard OS's distro. Before I go through the grief of reverting
to 8.04 please tell me what I gain beyond what I currently have
versions of matplotlib(98) , ipython(8.4) scipy (.7) and sympy (6.3) .

The windows version does look pretty cool.

I do want to install pythonxy but not badly enough to retrograde to
8.04. Perhaps the release of 9.04 will solve this dilema.

V/R

Scott

Philipp Lies

Feb 13, 2009, 12:20:41 PM2/13/09
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
For linux, pythonxy ist just a metapackage which means that it does only
contain other packages already in your distro. It just installs them
together and when the pythonxy guys think a package shall be removed or
added then you dont have to mind.

This is quite similar to windows but in windows you get a nice GUI for
starting the different programs. But none of the programs is somehow
written by the pythonxy guys. They just arranged them to a nice bundle,
took care of installation and stuff but it's still nothing more than you
could get by installing each component individually.

So if you want something like sage, where everything is joint into one
interface, then you have to use sage ;-).

What you gain if you already have those packages installed and do not
need something more than those packages - none. If you're going to do
more projects and might need more scientific libraries but do not have
internet available all the time (e.g. on a laptop computer while
traveling) then pythonxy provides you a bunch of packages you might need
sometime. Otherwise there is not that much to gain.

Scott

Feb 13, 2009, 3:05:50 PM2/13/09
to pythonxy-linux
Thanks

I saw the pretty windows pythonxy pictures and got too excited. I am
back to using kate/ipyton as my IDE. ;( .

I do like the bundling feature, especially if it allows me get a
versions newer than the OS distro.

Happy Coding

Scott
> > Scott- Hide quoted text -

Claude Gouedard

Feb 13, 2009, 4:35:43 PM2/13/09
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Philipp and Scott,
Of course, you're right, Philippp, there is nothing in pythonxy different
than the sum of existing packages inside, and Scott, in this sense, there
is less in linux than in windows pythonxy.
Now, I didn't try ubuntu-intrepid, staying myself with hardy. I can't distribute
or promote something I don't know. But I know too than those who begin
with ubuntu are choosing the last release.
So, as you, Philipp, advise to go ahead , lets go.
So, Scott, stay with intrepid, I'll join you ...
Well ... I'm on holidays next week, but I'll try to do it quickly.

I have planned  too a redhat-fedora release, after that.

Claude

Claude Gouedard

Feb 13, 2009, 4:41:22 PM2/13/09
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Scott

>>I saw the pretty windows pythonxy pictures
What are the pretty pictures you are speeking about ?
The launcher widget or the Eclipse framework ?

Claude