Install Spyder in Ubuntu 10.10

Álvaro Valero

Feb 28, 2011, 10:30:11 AM2/28/11
to pythonxy-linux
Someone can help me to install spyder in ubuntu 10.10?

I've tried to install python x,y in windows, but it seems impossible
in my computer, I have done everything and nothign happens when I
click on the python xy Icon or the Spyder Icon.

I'm sure someone knows how to do it, but I ask in every forum and no
one give me nothing.

I'm not an expert, I need spyder for a task in the university, and I
need to know how to install in simple way, all the ways explained in
the internet are with mercurial, and I don't have any idea of how to
install mercurial, seems like it doesn't exist anymore.

Someone can help me?

Thank you very much

Mike Sarahan

Feb 28, 2011, 11:45:12 AM2/28/11
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
mercurial is available as a package that you can easily install using
either apt-get or synaptic (or any other package management tool.)

For example, from a command prompt:
sudo apt-get install mercurial

Once you have mercurial, you should be able to follow the existing directions.

Best,
Mike

Claude Gouedard

Feb 28, 2011, 5:05:57 PM2/28/11
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
apt-get install spyder is also a good solution !!

Claude

Mike Sarahan

Feb 28, 2011, 5:24:13 PM2/28/11
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com
That's a much better solution, I would argue. Thanks Claude.

Berkin Malkoc

Feb 28, 2011, 5:45:53 PM2/28/11
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Claude Gouedard <cgo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> apt-get install spyder is also a good solution !!

Yes, but in that case you get Spyder version 1, not 2.

>> I'm not an expert,

Neither I am, but I had not had any issues with Spyder v.1/v.2
installation on Ubuntu 10.10. So please be relaxed and sure that you
can easily do it. You should follow these directions as was already
pointed out:

http://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/wiki/Installation

In case you need, let us go over the instructions (Spyder-v2):

* install Mercurial, a simple and powerful source control
management tool [You should issue this at the command line: "sudo
apt-get install mercurial"]

Now you have a software called Mercurial that can be used to pull
source code from some online repository. Then you use this program to
get the code for Spyder:
* clone Spyder v2.x source code repository: "hg clone
https://spyderlib.googlecode.com/hg/ spyderlib" [again, issue this in
the command line]

Now that you have Spyder code on your own machine, you should go to
the Spyder directory in which the file "setup.py" is located. This is
a Python file that installs Spyder once you execute it. So, please
execute it by entering the command in the parantheses, again in the
comand line:
* if you have installed Spyder (python setup.py install), it's already done

I suspect you do not have experience with the command line at all. If
this is the case you will need these system commands:
"pwd": Print Working Directory
"ls" : LiSt the contents of the working directory
"cd /path/to/the/destination/directory" Change (the working) Directory
to the indicated one

Please inform us about the result.

Cheers,
Berkin

Jörgen Blixt

Nov 11, 2012, 10:02:53 AM11/11/12
to pythonx...@googlegroups.com, alvar...@gmail.com
When installing Python(x,y) your name or the path to your document may not contain non-ascii characters.
Create a new user and the software will run under that user like a charm.