ConfigObj, Eggs & Megaframeworks

fuzz...@voidspace.org.uk

May 1, 2006, 9:25:18 AM5/1/06
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

ConfigObj, Eggs & Megaframeworks

emoticon:eggs ConfigObj 4.3.1 is now out. So also is Turbogears 0.9a5. Cool

If you look carefully in the Turbogears Changelog you will spot the innocuous looking line :

TurboGears now uses ConfigObj 4.3.0 for configuration

In fact it already uses 4.3.1, but no need to be picky. Wink

Turbogears makes extensive use of setuptools for installing dependencies. Unfortunately this highlighted the fact that easy_install is incapable of handling files served by my download manager downman.py. It creates an egg with a file name downman.py in it. This is despite the perfectly valid HTTP header sent by downman containing the filename [1]. Confused

To get round this problem I've now uploaded some pre-built eggs to the ConfigObj Cheeseshop Page. easy_install will use those eggs without trying to fetch the module from Voidspace. Many thanks to Kevin Dangoor for supplying the fresh eggs.

It also means the eggs are available for anyone else who may want to use setuptools to install ConfigObj. The zip file also contains the documentation, API docs and validate.py which you miss out on; but I guess you can't have it all. Smile

[1]easy_install determines the filename by parsing the URL. Phillip Eby insists it needs to do this before the header is sent. By this I don't mean that it might not be true, merely that I'm not convinced that ignoring the header and using the resource locator to determine the resource name is the only (or best) possible solution. Phillip suggests using PATH_INFO to get round this. I will probably make this change, the reason I've resisted this is because PATH_INFO is difficult to make work on IIs. This might preclude people on cheap hosting accounts using downman. However - a) I don't think anyone is, and b) I can make it optional, so that either would work.

Posted by Fuzzyman on 2006-04-29 17:25:12.
Categories: Projects, Python
Visit the Voidspace Techie Blog to read this entry and more.