Opening up MicroPython on the BBC micro:bit

Vicky Twomey-Lee

Oct 20, 2015, 6:02:47 AM10/20/15
to pythonie
Hey All,

I saw Nicholas Tollervey been posting news on various Python mailing lists that MicroPython is now open-sourced for BBC micro:bit. I thought it might be interesting to share with you all.

BTW, if you are thinking of upvoting his post on HN, please open HN frontpage and upvote from there. :-)

Cheers,

=== BEGIN MESSAGE ===

Hi Folks,

Many apologies for cross posting.

Here's some good news - we've finally been given permission to
open-source our work on the BBC micro:bit
vocal and public about what we're doing. Put simply, around 1 million of
these devices will be given to the UK's 11yo in the spring. They are all
capable of running Python. If you think the following is of interest,
please spread the word! It'd be great to see the wider Python community
get involved in this.

Damien George (creator of MicroPython) announced it here:

I've written up a "story so far" blog post, for those of you who need
some context, here:

The actual source code can be found here:

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best wishes,

Nicholas.

=== END MESSAGE ===