RFC: Python 2.5, 2.6, and 3k Support

Itzik Kotler

Sep 2, 2012, 12:36:27 PM9/2/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Right now Pythonect is only supported on Python 2.7.

I guess Python 3k support is inevitable, but what you think of Python 2.5, and Python 2.6?

Regards,
Itzik Kotler

nir izraeli

Sep 2, 2012, 1:19:38 PM9/2/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com

2.7 & 2.6 are similar enough, I don't see any reason to create both if its not trivial...

TL

Sep 2, 2012, 10:00:36 PM9/2/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
<= 2.6 support is low priority IMO.

Guy Adini

Sep 3, 2012, 12:00:25 AM9/3/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Not high priority, but is something useful.
Where I work, we have several old virtual machines (some are build machines, others used mostly for continuous integrations and so forth) that run Ubuntu 10.x, where the default python version is 2.6.

Nobody wants to upgrade them since it's a hassle, and when we want to write code that will run on these machines as well, we have to use 2.6 syntax.

I think that this is a pretty common situation in tech firms that have been around for a while.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:00 AM, TL <gsog...@gmail.com> wrote:
<= 2.6 support is low priority IMO.

nir izraeli

Sep 3, 2012, 1:48:01 AM9/3/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com

why can't you install 2.7 as an additional version and run the script with it?

Guy Adini

Sep 3, 2012, 2:03:18 AM9/3/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
You can, but it's not available through synaptic - you have to build it from source.
It's not a big deal, but is never an issue - since everything supports python 2.6 :)

In our day-to-day, this usually means replacing dictionary comprehensions with dict( list comprehension).

Itzik Kotler

Sep 3, 2012, 3:23:06 AM9/3/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
I think Pythonect can run on 2.6 "AS IT IS", the only problem is that setup.py is using 'setuptools' which is the default for 2.7 module (while 'distutils' is the default for 2.6 and below).

I will open a "feature request" ticket on Supporting Python 2.6

Itzik Kotler

Sep 6, 2012, 5:07:29 PM9/6/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Pythonect (HEAD) is now running on Python 2.6

Guy Adini

Sep 6, 2012, 11:23:28 PM9/6/12
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Great!