C++ Programming for Autodesk Maya

Jack Straw

Oct 8, 2014, 7:38:26 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
This group is a great resource for Python development and basically it would be great to have another for discussing C++ development for Maya. I just wanted to gauge interest before I set it up, I have seen plenty of questions on C++ development on this group.

If it could be added to the useful links sticky or the group header that would help get people involved and make it more of a sister group for this one.

Also there is an IRC channel on freenode.net for maya, #maya. It would be great to get more people on there, it's an incredibly useful service.

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 7:45:16 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

Also there is an IRC channel on freenode.net for maya, #maya. It would be great to get more people on there, it’s an incredibly useful service.

Here’s a quicklink to join via the web.
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23maya

Not much of a C++ developer, but I’d be happy to talk Python in that chat room.

Best,
Marcus

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

f.michal

Oct 8, 2014, 8:13:42 AM10/8/14
W dniu 2014-10-08 13:38, Jack Straw pisze:
> This group is a great resource for Python development and basically it
> would be great to have another for discussing C++ development for
> Maya. I just wanted to gauge interest before I set it up, I have seen
> plenty of questions on C++ development on this group.

Isn't it a better idea to host both kind of discussions on same list?
After all it touches the same problems, and a lot of expertise is
already here.

Jack Straw

Oct 8, 2014, 9:55:03 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
The name of this group will throw a lot of people and even if they do ask C++ questions here, they are often prefixed with "I know it's a python thread, but..". And as far as I know it isn't possible to rename Google Groups.

And for me it is quite useful to be able to filter to just see one or the other which would require all threads to be correctly tagged as Python or C++ (or C#). Actually that isn't a bad idea if we could change the name of the group to something along the lines of "Development for Autodesk Maya".

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 10:15:33 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
I certainly wouldn't go as far as to actually rename the group, it takes a long time to build momentum with a name.

How about a prefix, such as [C++] to questions involving C++? E.g. "[Maya-Python][C++] My question"

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Jack Straw

Oct 8, 2014, 11:16:33 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for that, could it be put in the header of the group page? Are there admins still active on here?

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 11:21:13 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Justin is the only maintainer of this list, as far as I know. But yeah, he's pretty active I'd say. :)

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

f.michal

Oct 8, 2014, 11:43:28 AM10/8/14
W dniu 2014-10-08 16:15, Marcus Ottosson pisze:
> I certainly wouldn't go as far as to actually rename the group, it
> takes a long time to build momentum with a name.
>
> How about a prefix, such as [C++] to questions involving C++? E.g.
> "[Maya-Python][C++] My question"

+1

Fredrik Averpil

Oct 8, 2014, 11:45:48 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
But then you kind of need to write that prefix instruction in the footer or something... At least I know I'm going to forget about that in case I ever have a C++ related question, at least ;)

Jack Straw

Oct 8, 2014, 11:57:11 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
This is why I would lean towards making the c++ one separate and just have it as a sister group to this one.

On 8 October 2014 16:45, Fredrik Averpil <fredrik...@gmail.com> wrote:
But then you kind of need to write that prefix instruction in the footer or something... At least I know I'm going to forget about that in case I ever have a C++ related question, at least ;)

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 11:57:57 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Caveat emptor.

If the questioner is interested in views from the C++ community, then putting a [C++] prefix in the *subject line* is one way of getting their attention.

On 8 October 2014 16:45, Fredrik Averpil <fredrik...@gmail.com> wrote:
But then you kind of need to write that prefix instruction in the footer or something... At least I know I'm going to forget about that in case I ever have a C++ related question, at least ;)

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 11:58:38 AM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

My comment was in regards to Fredrik’s comment.

--
Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Emre Yilmaz

Oct 8, 2014, 12:37:44 PM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Re: <<And as far as I know it isn't possible to rename Google Groups.>>

I'm pretty sure that it *IS* possible to rename a Google Group and change its description. I'm judging from a quick search and landing on pages like this one:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/167102?hl=en
https://sites.google.com/site/tomihasa/google-groups-faq#renamegroup

It looks like the name and description of a group can easily be changed.

It looks like if the *email address* of the group is changed, that changes things-- emails to the old address aren't delivered, and the web address of the archive changes.  That would probably be more disruptive than its benefits.

Personally I'd much rather see the C++ and Python API questions go to the same group.  I get the argument for splitting them, in that it's not clear that C++ questions should be welcome.  But that could just be addressed by renaming the group (and living with the inconvenience of the original email address.)  There is far more in common between C++ Maya API programming and Python Maya API programming than there is difference between them-- they're both using only slightly different versions of the same API.  When I'm looking for an answer to an issue with the Maya API in C++ I often find a useful answer somewhere expressed in Python (and sometimes the reverse is true as well).  Anyhow, I think this is probably up to the group admin (with input form the user base), but that's what I'd vote for if it were a voting scenario.

Emre Yilmaz

Oct 8, 2014, 1:07:09 PM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
PS, is the IRC freenode.net channel a chat service-- does it have an archive of discussions there like the one for the "Python Inside Maya" (or really Maya API in Python and C++) group?

Marcus Ottosson

Oct 8, 2014, 1:13:19 PM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

does it have an archive of discussions there like the one for the “Python Inside Maya”

I don’t think it does, you’re only getting messages happening while you’re logged in, unfortunately. :(

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Justin Israel

Oct 8, 2014, 2:25:13 PM10/8/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

Personally I think it is fine to have  C++ discussions on this list, simply because we all know this list has evolved in scope. It is a bit misleading still having the group called python inside Maya, but we also tend to talk a lot about general Qt regardless of it being in Maya. Or we talk about general practices that may or may not relate to Maya. I think the scope has become more of a "development in visual effects".

I can look into the tagging options, and update the group description and sticky topics. I would consider the group rename, possibly, but the email should definitely remain so as not to break the community. It may be possible to have an alias email address that is more general? Not sure on that.

Jeremy YeoKhoo

Oct 10, 2014, 1:46:23 AM10/10/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone started trying the Autodesk Area Forum? It seems to encompass MEL, Python and C++, though I am quite happy to read C++ stuff here too.

Jack Straw

Oct 17, 2014, 6:24:02 AM10/17/14
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Justin, that sounds good to me, with tagging and then filtering in any good email client it should be easy to navigate.