Custom manipulator problem

Janos Hunyadi

Nov 21, 2015, 8:04:43 AM11/21/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I'm writing a custom manipulator for maya in C++.

It's a MPxManipulatorNode on its own (no context or anything). It has the built in virtual function:

virtual MStatus connectToDependNode(const MObject &dependNode);

With this I want to connect this manipulator to my custom nodes plug ( I added the value in the postConstructor() and setting the values in one of the *do functions. And yes the manipulator is named the same as the node I want to control with a "Manip" extra tag at the end of its name) . But even though it compiles and runs. The function never gets triggered in the first place.
Do I need to implement this in a context to be able to run this function in a context, or it should be able to run on its own and link up with a plug? The Maya API documentation says that it should run on its own but it doesn`t seem to work for me....

Any ideas about manipulators?
Janos