[Maya-Python] Maya Sniffer - Visualise disk usage in your scene files

Marcus Ottosson

Jan 9, 2021, 7:18:31 AM1/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I wrote this little program that I’d like to share; it’s based on years of never having any idea of what makes my scene files so large, making it take long to open, long to save and puts tears in the eyes of IT doing backups.

This should be especially helpful when opening other-peoples-files, and even more so when working with references; those bastards can easily dump dense meshes into your locally saved file (if you e.g. put a deformer on it and mess with history), even though they only really should store deltas between an animated scene and original reference.

Enjoy!

Best,
Marcus

bobrobertuma

Jan 9, 2021, 7:27:11 AM1/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

Great program!  Thank you..

Juan Moraga

Jan 9, 2021, 7:30:31 AM1/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Marcus! This is such a great tool! I will test it out on Monday ;)

Have a great rest of your weekend

vince touache

Jan 9, 2021, 11:14:23 AM1/9/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Wicked! Thanks for sharing Marcus, I look forward to testing it on super complex scenes !

Marcus Ottosson

Jan 9, 2021, 3:08:25 PM1/9/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

I look forward to testing it on super complex scenes

Post a pic of what it looks like :)

Carlos Rico Adega

Jan 10, 2021, 10:15:59 AM1/10/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Sweet! Thanks Marcus. Looks very informative. Cheers.

--
Carlos Rico Adega
-------------------------------------

David Moulder

Jan 11, 2021, 4:26:22 PM1/11/21
to python_inside_maya
Very cool Marcus.  The data representation reminds me of Run Snake Run for python profiling.  Well done.  I'll definitely give it a go.

-Dave

Roy Nieterau

Jan 13, 2021, 7:56:45 AM1/13/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Loving how trivial this is but how elegantly it presents the biggest culprits of the file size. Something suitable for anyone non-techy to get a feeling for the biggest culprits.

vince touache

Jan 20, 2021, 9:17:16 AM1/20/21
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya

Marcus Ottosson

Jan 20, 2021, 11:00:06 AM1/20/21
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
18 million characters is 14% of the file? Haha. How big is that file? If every character is 16-bytes, that would make it.. 18000000 / 14 * 100 * 16 / 1024 / 1024 = 2GB?