PLUG: Python for Maya: Udemy course

dgovil

Nov 18, 2016, 4:50:35 PM11/18/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I have a new course on Udemy, which you can currently get super cheap on the Black Friday sale: https://www.udemy.com/python-for-maya/

Hope this is alright to promote here, figured it's pretty much the ideal demographic for it. Let me know if it's not and I'll have this post taken down. Don't want to sound like I'm spamming out my links.

The course aims to take you from no programming experience to creating advanced interfaces. I go over creating real world tools that can be useful to different departments as the method for teaching, so it’s not just abstract Python concepts.

Additionally it’s the only or one of the few courses that goes over the new changes in Maya 2017 with regards to interface design.

Projects that will be created:

  • Creating a prop rig
  • Scene Hierarchy Renamer
  • Making Procedural Geometry
  • An Animation Tweener UI
  • A Controller Liibrary UI with a gallery view using Qt
  • A Light Manager using Qt and PyMel, that can be docked in Maya and handles light presets
  • A command line file renamer utility that accepts regular expressions

Anyway the idea is that it takes you from the very basics of Python all the way to what a Pipeline TD would be expected to know, and show that it’s useful for artists to learn Python as well.

All source code is also available here: http://www.github.com/dgovil/PythonForMayaSamples and I'll keep that updated with resources too.

If you guys are interested in the course, now's a good time to sign up while it's on sale. Otherwise it goes back up to $90 after the sale. Also if you do take it, I'd love any feedback.

Also if you know anyone interested, it would be great if you could share it.

Cheers

Dhruv Govil

Justin Israel

Nov 18, 2016, 5:13:01 PM11/18/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya

Hi,

Definitely fine to announce your training course here! It is 100% relevant. A few of us have made similar announcements for training material in the past.

Looks pretty comprehensive from the description!

Justin

dgovil

Nov 18, 2016, 5:47:20 PM11/18/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Awesome, thanks Justin.

Kenneth Ibrahim

Nov 18, 2016, 7:05:59 PM11/18/16
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on doing a course like this. It looks like it'll give a lot of artists who have considered diving into Python for Maya a good place to finally do so. I'll spread the word to a few such friends.

Cheers,

Ken

PS: I like your desk setup from the intro video with the controller keyboard in there too. I assume that you're a musician then as well (I'm a hobbyist musician using Logic Pro & Omnisphere in addition to my normal work as an FX & Pipeline TD).

"God is a metaphor for a mystery that absolutely transcends all human categories of thought. It's as simple as that!" - Joseph Campbell

dgovil

Nov 18, 2016, 7:17:10 PM11/18/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Thanks Ken!

And yes, a hobbyist musician. I really need to get back into recording my stuff. Do you have any stuff online?
I wish I had Omnisphere....it sounds gorgeous. Mostly just using BitWig/Reaper and Komplete here, hardware wise it's an Arturia Keylab with a Scarlett 18i20 underneath it.

Marcus Ottosson

Nov 23, 2016, 4:44:00 AM11/23/16
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Also on Bitwig here, and a Roli Rise. Great stuff.

Anyway, hey Dhruv! Congrats on the release, it looks really great! It's one of those I wish was around when I was first starting out. This'll be what I recommend to anyone asking about learning Python from now on. :)

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Kenneth Ibrahim

Nov 23, 2016, 11:24:57 AM11/23/16
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
I had a look at the Udemy site in general and they're having a Black Friday sale on most of their courses, including some other interesting ones on Python, from beginner to advanced topics. There's even one on data structures, algorithms and interviewing for Python jobs (i.e. how to prep for coding questions during interviews with companies like Google, etc.).

And Dhruv, there are some interesting looking classes on DAWs as well :)

On 19 November 2016 at 00:17, dgovil <dhruv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Ken!

And yes, a hobbyist musician. I really need to get back into recording my stuff. Do you have any stuff online?
I wish I had Omnisphere....it sounds gorgeous. Mostly just using BitWig/Reaper and Komplete here, hardware wise it's an Arturia Keylab with a Scarlett 18i20 underneath it.

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

dgovil

Nov 24, 2016, 2:16:20 PM11/24/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Oh yeah tons of great courses on sale.

@Marcus thanks! and the Roli Rise is really cool. I went with one of our TDs when he bought one...really crazy.

md

Dec 15, 2016, 4:41:02 AM12/15/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Dhruv ,,,, picked up the course on sale ... what parts deal with 2017 and the changes to qt/pyside ... thanks !

dgovil

Dec 15, 2016, 3:32:33 PM12/15/16
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hey specifically the Controller Library and Light Manager projects deal with Qt, and go over using Qt.py to work with Maya 2017 as well. The Light Manager project also has an example of how to adapt from the dockControl in maya 2016 and below to using the workspace control in maya 2017.