querying deformerSet components from within a deformer creates a cycle

vince touache

Jun 30, 2020, 6:03:53 PM6/30/20
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
hi guys,

I'm working on a deformer I don't want to use MItGeometry to iterate on my vertices (I need to work in a different order).
So instead, I'd like to directly query the deformerSet and get the component list from there, e.g.

MObject oThis = thisMObject();
MFnGeometryFilter fnThis(oThis);
MFnSet fnSet(fnThis.deformerSet());
MSelectionList members;
fnSet.getMembers(members, false);

But calling fnSet.getMembers() results in a cycle (but no crash) inside maya.
1. Any idea how I could get the components affected by my deformer, if I can't do it this way?
2. I'd like to understand why this is creating a cycle... the deformerSet is not related to the outGeom, this is just a set, so how querying its members can introduce a cycle?

Thanks for your help =]