recover scripting work after a crash ?

jettam

Sep 14, 2017, 12:51:39 AM9/14/17
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
If maya crashes is their a way to recover the work that I have done in the script window ?  Like does it save it in a temp folder somewhere ?

Marcus Ottosson

Sep 14, 2017, 1:20:38 AM9/14/17
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, no it doesn't. :( It's bitten me many times as well. I don't think you can even copy the text, have Maya crash, and then paste it back. It'll go ahead and wipe the copy-buffer for you. It's out to get you!

On 14 September 2017 at 05:51, jettam <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:
If maya crashes is their a way to recover the work that I have done in the script window ?  Like does it save it in a temp folder somewhere ?

jettam

Sep 14, 2017, 1:24:38 AM9/14/17
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Well since I'm learning, this will only make me stronger Muwhahahaha!!

Simon Anderson

Sep 14, 2017, 3:42:02 AM9/14/17
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Like Marcuss mentioned, its gone for good. I try dev in an IDE and then just import and refresh the module in Maya. That way you dont get caught out by Maya not playing nice.

Simon Payne

Sep 14, 2017, 5:54:15 AM9/14/17
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
This is not entirely true. Your script editor remp files are stored in [usr]/docs/maya/maya-20xx/prefs/scrptEditorTemp/
The files can be openned in any text editor. Sometimes, because of multi sessions of maya at the same time or re-installs, the scripts you were working on can be found in there even though they do not auto load into maya's script editor.

Also, in your [usr]/windows/temp dir you can often recover script temp files from there that are not in your scriptEditorTemp dir or were not commited by saving prefs or clising/opening mayas script editor following a crash.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone

Michael Boon

Sep 14, 2017, 7:41:17 PM9/14/17
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
If you're doing something you suspect might crash Maya, you can save the Script Editor without closing Maya, like this:
# Save contents of Script Editor
import maya.cmds as cmds
import maya.mel as mel
cmds.savePrefs(general=True) # This saves tab names, among other stuff.
mel.eval('syncExecuterBackupFiles') # This saves tab contents.

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 10:20:38 PM UTC-7, Marcus Ottosson wrote:
As far as I know, no it doesn't. :( It's bitten me many times as well. I don't think you can even copy the text, have Maya crash, and then paste it back. It'll go ahead and wipe the copy-buffer for you. It's out to get you!

On 14 September 2017 at 05:51, jettam <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:
If maya crashes is their a way to recover the work that I have done in the script window ?  Like does it save it in a temp folder somewhere ?

jettam

Sep 14, 2017, 10:51:48 PM9/14/17
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
This is good to know, thanks..

justin hidair

Sep 16, 2017, 11:21:53 AM9/16/17
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Charcoal editor which I use , saves the buffers before compiling , and also as an auto-save feature that I don't use because It's rumored to in some cases delete the files/buffers contents

Sebastian Schoellhammer

Sep 16, 2017, 1:51:32 PM9/16/17

www.mokumedia.de