non-referenceable nodes

Philippe Leprince

Jan 26, 2022, 9:31:59 AM1/26/22
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hi there

I would like to avoid having some custom node types imported via referenced scenes, as they just create clutter and confusion for the users.

I checked the docs and didn't find much on the topic.

Ideally, I would prefer to tag a nodeType as non-loadable when referenced but I am happy to consider anything, including running a post-import callback to unload these undesirable nodes (if possible) or whatever.

Cheers

Marcus Ottosson

Feb 2, 2022, 1:39:34 AM2/2/22
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I suspect you'll need to come at the problem from the other end; of only *exporting* the nodes you want to be referenced later.

There is no way, to my knowledge, to selectively reference a file. The one exception being a reference with another reference inside of it; so potentially if you could split your custom nodes into a reference of their own, and reference that into your file? Effectively a hierarchy of references inside of that one referenced file. Sounds awefully complex haha, but that would be the closest thing.

Not even a post-import/reference callback (which does exists) would work, because nodes can't be deleted from a referenced file.