Dilen Shah

Dec 14, 2015, 10:56:33 AM12/14/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hey guys,

I have a polygon plane with just one face but multiple vertices and I would like to gridify the mesh uniformly.

For example, like UV Editor we have a grid flow in it. Just like that I would like grid on my plane mesh.

Is there a way in maya api that i can achieve this.

Thanks.

D.

Marcus Ottosson

Dec 14, 2015, 11:21:41 AM12/14/15
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Gridify? Grid flow?

Maybe post a picture of what you mean?

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Dilen Shah

Dec 14, 2015, 11:27:03 AM12/14/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
original.png
target.png

Dilen Shah

Dec 14, 2015, 11:29:17 AM12/14/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hey marcus,

i have attached few images. take a look and let me know if you have an idea of how i can achieve this.

Thanks.

D,

On 14 December 2015 at 16:56, Dilen Shah <dilen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey guys,

I have a polygon plane with just one face but multiple vertices and I would like to gridify the mesh uniformly.

For example, like UV Editor we have a grid flow in it. Just like that I would like grid on my plane mesh.

Is there a way in maya api that i can achieve this.

Thanks.

D.

Marcus Ottosson
konstr...@gmail.com

Marcus Ottosson

Dec 14, 2015, 11:43:07 AM12/14/15
to python_in...@googlegroups.com
Ah, ok, I see.

One way could be to create a plane, set the grid division that you are looking for. Next, extrude your original plane, such that it has volume. Then you can use that volume to boolean the "gridded" plane.

Not ideal, it sounds like what you are looking for is a parametrized surface of sorts, like you would get out of a "dynameshed" ZBrush surface. Not sure Maya has any of that built-in. If it does, I would probably start looking either in Maya Fluids or Bifrost.

On 14 December 2015 at 17:29, Dilen Shah <dilen...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ollarin

Dec 14, 2015, 9:44:03 PM12/14/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Just off the top of my head. The quickest way would be to extract the border edge into a curve. Then do a surface>planar with polygon as the output?

It's a combination of the planarTrimSurface and nurbsTessellate nodes. Which is cool. Since you'll have interactive control over your density and such.

You might be able to recreate that behavior via the API?

Dilen Shah

Dec 15, 2015, 2:52:55 AM12/15/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hey Ollarin,

Thats a great idea, i did that too actually with planar trim and nurb tessalate to control the number of polygons. But i cant find any solution in API for it. may be i just need to look harder but let me know if you find something in API.

Thanks.

D.
Message has been deleted

Janos Hunyadi

Dec 26, 2015, 6:19:21 AM12/26/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
There is no direct pre fabricated solution for this in the API so you'll have to do it all by yourself. One way is to make a grid mesh like a subdivided plane.
Search for the faces that's outside the mesh. Remove those faces, than snap the outer boundary vertices to the closest border edge. This will only work with planar faces or meshes that are constrained to a 2D plane though.

Greets,
Janos

Dilen Shah

Dec 26, 2015, 1:48:39 PM12/26/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hey Janos,

That's a great idea, i am going to try it out for sure and keep you posted.

I need it to be in 2D plane as I am working on something for 2D characters in 3D with facials.

Thanks for your response i shall test somethings and let you know how it goes :)

D.

Aton Lerin

Dec 28, 2015, 5:41:25 AM12/28/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Hello,

I think creating your rigidify mesh plug-in is the brute force solution, i would recommend to create a uv plan projection, and then use the uvs coordinates (u,v) that will give you this 2d grid that you need. It involves scripting a little bit but less than creating a plug-in :)

No ?

Aton Lerin

Dec 28, 2015, 5:41:27 AM12/28/15
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya