maya screen grab

Vishal Kadam

Jul 22, 2020, 7:32:02 AM7/22/20
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
need help with this
is there any script to get maya scene file content in a image format or maya scene file viewer without opening maya file (.ma).

screen-shot-for-maya by jay

But I need some thing similar kind of but without opening maya scene file

or a screen grab anything which helps

Chad Fox

Jul 22, 2020, 11:18:47 AM7/22/20
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
I think no matter what, you would have to open the scene via mayapy with at least a viewport initialized. I've performed batch playblasts this way. I would love to hear there is another option from a maya file, but I am doubting it.

-Chad

Vishal Kadam

Jul 23, 2020, 6:13:57 AM7/23/20
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
can I get this script in python or
can I get this script without UI
actually I want this for multiple selected objects or group nodes
I want some thing like this
if I select multiple objects or groups and run the script that should generate screen shots of all the selected objects into separate jpg or tiff
note:
selected object should be in perspective, isolated and camera focused on object

please let me know if this can be done or I'm thinking too advance

Justin Israel

Jul 23, 2020, 7:22:45 AM7/23/20
to python_in...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, 10:14 PM Vishal Kadam <vishalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
can I get this script in python or
can I get this script without UI
actually I want this for multiple selected objects or group nodes
I want some thing like this
if I select multiple objects or groups and run the script that should generate screen shots of all the selected objects into separate jpg or tiff
note:
selected object should be in perspective, isolated and camera focused on object

please let me know if this can be done or I'm thinking too advance

Are you placing a request for a tool to be written for you, or are you asking multiple questions:
   Can someone give me an existing batch playblast script?
   Is it possible for me to modify the script to achieve said goals?

Chad is saying he isn't aware of a way to generate a preview without at least having Maya load the scene file through a shell script as opposed to launching the Maya UI. I hope that part is clear enough.

I would imagine that you can have a command line script accept arguments to control selection, and have it load the scene file, iterate the selection, do some kind of preferred camera orientation, and playblast each selection to a different image file.

You may be able to get someone to share some existing playblast code. But you would be amazingly lucky to get someone to write it to your specs.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:32 AM Vishal Kadam <vishalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
need help with this
is there any script to get maya scene file content in a image format or maya scene file viewer without opening maya file (.ma).

screen-shot-for-maya by jay

But I need some thing similar kind of but without opening maya scene file

or a screen grab anything which helps

Vishal Kadam

Jul 23, 2020, 8:47:27 AM7/23/20
to Python Programming for Autodesk Maya
Maybe you took my request in wrong way, or maybe I was not clear with my words.
I didn't mean anything like that some to write a script for me according to my requirements and all
I'm not a script writer and I don't know much about it I just search few stuff like this and try them,
that was just my Idea and trying to convey them here and expecting suggestions or a possibility if that can be done using so and so script or methods
or I was thinking too advance and all that's it.

and thanks everyone for replying

Justin Israel

Jul 23, 2020, 3:49:22 PM7/23/20

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, 12:47 AM Vishal Kadam <vishalk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Maybe you took my request in wrong way, or maybe I was not clear with my words.
I didn't mean anything like that some to write a script for me according to my requirements and all
I'm not a script writer and I don't know much about it I just search few stuff like this and try them,
that was just my Idea and trying to convey them here and expecting suggestions or a possibility if that can be done using so and so script or methods
or I was thinking too advance and all that's it.

and thanks everyone for replying

Thank you for clarifying. Ya it will require some scripting skills even if you find existing code to do the playblast. You will end up needing to apply your custom business logic to meet your specs. But if you are capable of writing loops, parsing command line arguments, some file i/o, and the Maya commands API, then it should be achievable.