Meetup Thursday 12th October - PostgreSQL: Beyond the Basics (and maybe a serverless talk)

Matt Goodall

Oct 8, 2017, 11:36:08 AM10/8/17
to python-yo...@googlegroups.com
This month, Lorna Mitchell will be talking about `PostgreSQL`_.

"Most of the applications we build have a relational database behind the
scenes, but are you making good use of its features?  This session goes
beyond simple CRUD operations and covers some of PostreSQL's excellent data
types, complex joins, indexes, and aggregate features we need to work with
ever-incresing data requirements of the day.  Whether you're a database
beginner or a seasoned pythonista, there's something here for you."

If there's enough time and we're very nice to Lorna, she *may* also show
off some serverless Python apps in a talk called "Fun With Serverless Apps":

"Serverless and the noOps movement are buzzwords that you've probably
heard, but could these technologies also solve problems that you actually
have?  This session will cover *when* to use a serverless approach, and
answer your questions about how to get started with it.  We'll look at how
to write code for these platforms, and how to safely and repeatedly deploy
your code to them.  We'll also look at how we can use these technologies to
build a skill for the Amazon Echo.  This session is suitable for developers
of all levels."

Date and Time
=============

Thursday 12th October, starting around 7.30pm.

We will finish at about 8:45pm, and will be going to `Headrow House`_
afterwards.

Location
========

As usual, we will be meeting at `Futurelabs`_ (`map`_).

| Futurelabs
| 1 Eastgate
| Leeds
| LS2 7LY

From the Futurelabs web site: "If you’re walking, we’re 50 yards from the
back entrance of the Victoria Quarter. Simply look left, walk to the
crossroads and we’re in the building on the opposite corner (above the Gas
Showrooms). Take the door to the left of the Gas Showrooms and our
Reception is on the second floor."

jwilsonc...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 9:59:52 AM10/10/17
to Python Yorkshire-Humberside
Hi,
my second baby was due last Tuesday so I think I'm probably unable to come - posgres stuff would be v interesting though, will be sorry to miss and would appreciate slides if they aren't top secret!
Also, the chess variant game I was asking for help with last time is SO much easier now I'm not worrying about websockets...
James