Meetup Thursday 9th November - Programming Music for Performance: Live Coding With FoxDot

31 wyświetleń

Matt Goodall

nieprzeczytany,
4 lis 2017, 11:30:424.11.2017
do python-yo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This month Ryan Kirkbride will be talking about and demoing FoxDot, a
library for live coding music:

FoxDot is a Python library for interactive programming, specifically for
live coding music. This talk will touch upon the history of live coding,
the algorave movement (where people get together and dance to algorithms -
yes, it's true), and how you can use Python to make your own music.

The FoxDot editor gives users the ability to edit their Python code while
it is being run, allowing them to enter a feedback loop where they can
execute code, listen to the result, then change the code and re-execute it
based on what they hear. Often dubbed "the composer programmer", a live
coder makes the act of composing music a performance practice in itself.
Python's clean syntax and flexibility lends itself to this and FoxDot
allows users to define musical algorithms quickly and easily.

The talk will then culminate in a 10 minute improvised performance that
will demonstrate the wide range of musical capabilities available in the
system.

FoxDot is maintained at https://github.com/Qirky/FoxDot.

**We hope to have time for a workshop for anyone who wants to have a play,
so please bring a laptop if you have one.**

Date and Time
=============

Thursday 9th November, starting around 7.30pm.

We will finish at about 8:45pm, and will be going to `Headrow House`_
afterwards.

Location
========

As usual, we will be meeting at `Futurelabs`_ (`map`_).

| Futurelabs
| 1 Eastgate
| Leeds
| LS2 7LY

From the Futurelabs web site: "If you’re walking, we’re 50 yards from the
back entrance of the Victoria Quarter. Simply look left, walk to the
crossroads and we’re in the building on the opposite corner (above the Gas
Showrooms). Take the door to the left of the Gas Showrooms and our
Reception is on the second floor."

Details on the website, http://wypy.org.uk/2017-11.

Cheers, Matt

Peter Russell

nieprzeczytany,
7 lis 2017, 10:35:397.11.2017
do python-yo...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great! I can't wait!

Peter

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Python Yorkshire-Humberside" group.

andrew wilson

nieprzeczytany,
7 lis 2017, 11:01:487.11.2017
do python-yo...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure this will get mentioned on Thursday but for people who can't make wypy (myself included sadly, it looks great), all sorts of interesting art-music-software-hardware stuff in Sheffield over the weekend: http://algomech.com/2017/

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Python Yorkshire-Humberside" group.

Mark Pybus

nieprzeczytany,
7 lis 2017, 18:14:557.11.2017
do Python Yorkshire-Humberside
Great.
Last month I believed I offered to raid the DataShed beer fridge (we're just around the corner) and bring some drinks along. Is that still okay? If so how many?

Python, Music, Beer, Dance, good night

Lorna Mitchell

nieprzeczytany,
8 lis 2017, 03:21:328.11.2017
do Python Yorkshire-Humberside
This all sounds great but I'm not going to make it this month as I'm travelling for a conference.  Just wanted to say THANKS for helping me rehearse for PyCon UK, I think the talks went over all right and I had a ball at the event itself :)

Lorna

Simon Davy

nieprzeczytany,
9 lis 2017, 13:52:119.11.2017
do python-yo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark, sorry forgot to respond to this kind offer

No idea about numbers I'm afraid! Feel free to bring some, we can always take them back afterwards?

Mark Pybus

nieprzeczytany,
9 lis 2017, 13:54:469.11.2017
do python-yo...@googlegroups.com
will do!

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Python Yorkshire-Humberside" group.
Odpowiedz wszystkim
Odpowiedz autorowi
Przekaż
Nowe wiadomości: 0