Is Python useful for building systems?

Hanen Ben Rhouma

Mar 31, 2009, 9:01:53 PM3/31/09
to Python Tunisia
*) How would you defend Python versus other scripting languages like
PHP, Ruby or even other Object Oriented coding paradigms (Java/C++)
and why do you prefer it over all of them?

*) Did you try it out for producing a competitive marketed solution?

*) If you had to use a Python IDE, what would be your choice?

*) What kind of surprise are we Python newbies expecting along the
learning process?

*) Why do you consider using Python as an academic language for
teaching people to program a good decision?

My vision of things right now says:
It's popular yes, but lacks maturity, efficiency and documentation
(docstrings compared to javadoc or doxygen)...It seems silly to
consider Java/C++ as old toys but to take PHP/Python/Ruby/Perl
seriously. Those are scripting languages that have their uses, but
can't be used to build large maintainable codebases.

Rached ALEYA

Apr 1, 2009, 4:52:39 PM4/1/09
to python-...@googlegroups.com
PHP is very "strong" : Facebook is a good exemple :)

2009/4/1 Hanen Ben Rhouma <hane...@gmail.com>

--
Cordialement
Rached ALEYA

Ghassen Telmoudi

Apr 1, 2009, 5:06:42 PM4/1/09
to Python Tunisia
I may don't have time to answer all your answers but I have one link
that will speaks for me.

I'll say one word "Google"
and here's the link:
http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

Do you think that Google chose Python for nothing?
I don't think so!
What about YouTube!!!

I'll answer the rest later.

Ghassen Telmoudi

Mohamed IKBEL Boulabiar

Apr 16, 2009, 3:06:24 PM4/16/09
to Python Tunisia
I found myself programming in Python !

Or let's say using PyQt to make good things fast !!

amri amin

Mar 11, 2013, 9:15:12 AM3/11/13
to python-...@googlegroups.com

Is it useful to build systems ? it depends on !
"Can't be used to build large maintainable codebases ?"
What is the point of making a scripting language a tool to build large scale codebase ? this is silly !
"Python lacks docs ?"
LOL
"Matuarity ? "
Define it !

Anis Ghabri

Mar 12, 2013, 4:22:50 AM3/12/13
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
1) Don't use Python for now(We are in Tunisia so ASP.NET & PHP ) BUT:
Do you think NASA Google, etc by using Python are joking. to Work for Google it's a must to deeply know Python( Google app engine support 3 languages Java Python and Go ). NASA it's file system is based on Python.

2) For IDE I guess you have the IDLE it's really good but not for large systems. Eclipse Pydev plugin and Eric( Pyqt IDE ).

3) For newbie you will be surprised how clean easy and enjoying working with Python.

4) Python is clean and easy to work with and to learn. It teachs you good habits like indentation. So many student when they face a long curve learning programming language( such c++ ) they hate programming and they give-up learning it. I our case Python will let them enjoy learning and programming.

*******
Python is mature and it's used for large systems. it's there before Java and more cross plateform than Java( Well it's an interpreted language it should be cross***) .
For C++ python first build using C. and it's possible to bind C and python.

For web programming Python looks much stable than PHP and ruby( Django Framework )

For systems Ubuntu Quicly is based on Python.

Here in Tunisia Python is not well known Well we are forced to work with( Java .NET PHP and Some C++ ). There is much better solution out there Like Python BUT :(

*******