Make some connections

ghassen_...@hotmail.com

Mar 21, 2009, 1:30:14 PM3/21/09
to Python Tunisia
As we starting the business, we had no idea how to get start the
whole process of creating this Python community.
As a matter of fact let me share this story with you.
I send an email to PSF (Python Software Foundation)
asking them for help as a new born community.

I can't tell you how much I was excitingly surprised from the person
how answered me.
It's Steve Holden himself, for who don't know who is he, I can tell
that he is the chairman of the PSF, and the Chairman of the PyCon
(Python Conference held annually in the USA) three time in the row.

I can't describe how humble he was talking to me.
giving some precious advice and how to start, and by the way he was so
exited as I am with new Python community that we started.

If you have no idea about Python, you'll find many valuable
information on this link:
http://www.python.org

Rafik

Mar 25, 2009, 8:47:21 AM3/25/09
to Python Tunisia
Hello!

Great initiative !
A few weeks ago, I started reading and looking out for learning
Python. I remember that I have read through the page
http://wiki.python.org/moin/LocalUserGroups and found only references
for Egypt and Morocco as Arabic countries.

I think as a new born community we could organize ourselves into a
small mentor program where advanced programmers will help beginners
getting experience and at the same time making some good documentation
and faq to be used by our community later. I can contribute by writing
the basics that I learned until now.

Once we have something to show, we can do some advertising campaigns
in mailing lists, web forums, blogs, newspapers, web magazines,...
ATM, we haven't anything yet to give so we may not expect real
contributions.

BTW, Why do we use English ? I think that for a Tunisian Community,
French would be more appropriate.

- Rafik

Housem HAJLAOUI

Mar 25, 2009, 9:48:44 AM3/25/09
to Python Tunisia
Hello,

Sounds like great news!
It's normal that the global community Chair tends his hand for you.

Well, I think that first challenge we have is to make this group grow.
With few members nothing can be done.

So, start your InvitationMania and let's boom this group.

Kind regards

Housem HAJLAOUI

Mar 25, 2009, 9:53:06 AM3/25/09
to Python Tunisia
Hello Rafik,

Glad to see you here also ;-)
Hope your experience with Ubuntu TN serves us here.

I think the priority now is to make this community grow in term of
members then start developing concrete stuffs to showcase and promote.

I don't see the link between being Tunisians and speaking French... We
should speak Arabic thought, no? ;-)
We speak English because this is a community striving to have global
connections, well I really hope!

Kind regards

On Mar 25, 1:47 pm, Rafik <ra...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Great initiative !
> A few weeks ago, I started reading and looking out for learning
> Python. I remember that I have read through the pagehttp://wiki.python.org/moin/LocalUserGroupsand found only references

Ghassen Telmoudi

Mar 25, 2009, 10:28:10 AM3/25/09
to Python Tunisia
Well great to hear that we have another Pythonist in our group.
I already mentioned, I expect a lot from this group.
We're just waiting for more number of interested people to make our
next move.

I believe as beginner you need to look for some documentation, and
believe me it's 99% in English.
Please don't be a slave to what the French people will translate for
you, and try to get knowledge from the original source(English).
I saw some French documentations, but it really lost the quality the
of the material.

As we started this community, we intentionally chose English, not
because it's the language of the world only, but it is what our future
depends on.

So we need to a have a long run sight, instead of paying for mistakes
that our Ancestors made, and remain with limited potentials.

Rafik wrote:
"""Why do we use English ? I think that for a Tunisian Community,
French would be more appropriate. """

I see that is inappropriate to speak the colonialism language, it's
2009 now
the whole world speak English, we refuse to be left behind because of
the francophone heritage.

It's now or never to make the difference.

I'm really happy my friend for joining us, so keep going :)

Ghassen Telmoudi