Suggestions for topics in an asyncio 2-hour workshop targeting beginner/intermediate Python users?

Alexandre Y. Harano

Jan 22, 2018, 1:33:12 PM1/22/18
to python-tulip
Hello there.

First, if this is not the most adequate channel to ask the subject, I would thank if one refers to a more proper channel to ask this.

I'm an asyncio user with Python 3.4.3 and 3.5+ environments and currently I'm using some of the available resources. I would like to study more of the asyncio library and I would like to make a syllabus for a 2-hours asyncio hands-on workshop targeting {beginner,intermediate}-level Python users to present at regional Python conferences.

Ideally, it would use only libraries available at Python' stdlib, but it could include some third-party libraries too.

What do you think that are the most important topics to mention and to demonstrate, considering the time constrains including a minimal explanation or the possibility to include complimentary textual resources to be read afterwards the workshop?

As an example, I would focus in an application client, probably to web context, but it is not a definitive option yet.

Thanks in advance,
Alexandre Harano.

Luciano Ramalho

Jan 22, 2018, 4:09:32 PM1/22/18
to Alexandre Y. Harano, python-tulip
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM, 'Alexandre Y. Harano' via
python-tulip <python...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I would like to make a syllabus for a 2-hours asyncio
> hands-on workshop targeting {beginner,intermediate}-level Python users to
> present at regional Python conferences.

Hello, Alexandre!

I presented a tutorial like that at PyBay 2017 and at PythonBrasil
2017 (an evening activity, after the conference). If you'd like a
co-author, let's talk.

This is what I have:

Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/ramalho/python-concurrency-at-pybay
Code: https://github.com/fluentpython/concurrency

The examples are rather simple, but I just have not found a way to
cover more ground at an introductory 3-hour async/await tutorial. That
material was pretty challenging for the audiences in San Francisco and
Belo Horizonte.

Of course, there is room for improvement.

Regarding libraries, unfortunately the standard lib only supports
socket programming which is too low level for simple yet motivating
examples. For a basic HTTP client it's better to use aiohttp. I'd like
to develop an example using aiopg, because it exemplifies very nicely
the use of async with and async for.

Cheers,

Luciano
--