Announcing Tornado 6.2b1

Ben Darnell

Jun 10, 2022, 10:04:24 PM6/10/22
to Tornado Mailing List, python-torn...@googlegroups.com
I am pleased to announce the first beta release of Tornado 6.2.

This release is primarily about adapting to some significant deprecation changes that were made to asyncio in Python 3.10. Nothing is breaking immediately, but several Python releases in the future, changes will be made that will break many of the longstanding patterns used for initialization of Tornado applications. To future-proof your applications, in most cases you'll need to start using asyncio.run() instead of IOLoop.current().start() (and this can be a non-trivial change).

You can install this release with `pip install --pre tornado==6.2.0b1`

-Ben

Ben Darnell

Jun 18, 2022, 4:44:15 PM6/18/22
to Tornado Mailing List, python-torn...@googlegroups.com
A second beta release of Tornado 6.2 is now available. This release updates documentation to say that the IOLoop constructor is not deprecated if make_current=False is used, adds an asyncio_loop keyword argument to that constructor, and also changes the build system to produce wheels based on the stable ABI (abi3) for better compatibility across Python versions (but perhaps worse compatibility with older versions of pip. I think this should only be a problem with extremely old versions of pip, but please let me know if you run into any issues).

-Ben