Standard Fabric tasks

Martin Vilcans

Dec 4, 2012, 6:04:23 AM12/4/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pythonistas!

I'm writing some Fabric scripts to set up servers, it's stuff like adding users, setting up firewalls etc. And I'm thinking that someone else must have done this before. (I know that I have at least.)

So what I'm wondering if there's some pre-made tasks for this kind of stuff? I've googled but found nothing.

Martin Vilcans

--
mar...@librador.com
www.librador.com www.vilcon.se www.twitter.com/vilcans

Ville Svärd

Dec 4, 2012, 6:17:27 AM12/4/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com
I have been in the same situation. Since then I tried a "pip search
fabric" and found a bunch of stuff (but did not need them at the
time).
The pip search usually comes up with a long list of extensions, tools
and some tasks. Sorry to say I have not tried any.

--
vs

--
vs.

Martin Melin

Dec 4, 2012, 6:18:05 AM12/4/12
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Martin Vilcans <mar...@librador.com> wrote:
Hi Pythonistas!

I'm writing some Fabric scripts to set up servers, it's stuff like adding users, setting up firewalls etc. And I'm thinking that someone else must have done this before. (I know that I have at least.)

So what I'm wondering if there's some pre-made tasks for this kind of stuff? I've googled but found nothing.

I haven't used it myself but saw it on HN a while back.

--
Martin Melin
@martinmelin

Martin Vilcans

Erwan Lemonnier

Dec 5, 2012, 9:08:00 AM12/5/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com
This is definitely out of the python scope, but tasks like those you
describe (adding users, setting up firewall rules...) applied to a
number of hosts are typically better handled by tools like puppet or
chef.

I am sure you can do all of that with fabric but odds are that your
set of script will grow and grow and one day be much less maintainable
than their equivalent puppet/chef recipes :-)

My 2 cents!
/Erwan

E. Anders Lannerbäck

Dec 5, 2012, 9:54:28 AM12/5/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

For something more like puppet/chef, but written in python and still useful for ad-hoc tasks, take a look at Ansibe (http://ansible.cc).  It's great!

/Anders

Martin Vilcans

Dec 5, 2012, 2:39:33 PM12/5/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a good idea. I'm not too fond of Ruby-based tools. They tend to be hell to install.

What I like about Fabric apart from it being Python based is that it doesn't require anything except Python to be installed on the server side. It probably doesn't scale as well though.

Marcus Fredriksson

Dec 5, 2012, 5:44:59 PM12/5/12
to python-s...@googlegroups.com

No mention of Salt (http://docs.saltstack.org/en/latest/) yet?

Martin Vilcans

Dec 6, 2012, 5:20:29 AM12/6/12
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Martin Vilcans <mar...@librador.com> wrote:
What I like about Fabric apart from it being Python based is that it doesn't require anything except Python to be installed on the server side. It probably doesn't scale as well though.

Correcting myself: It requires nothing except *ssh*.