Introductions

Daniel Farrell

Aug 4, 2009, 4:05:00 AM8/4/09
to python-ray-tracing-community
Hello,

I'm Daniel Farrell my background is in Physics and Photovoltaics and
I'm currently working at Imperial College London http://www.imperial.ac.uk/qpv,
as a Research Assistant.

I'm interested in statistical ray tracing in python for a number of
reasons:

* I have written a stat. ray tracer in C and although fast it became
impossible to maintain,

* Python is a great language, it's readable, easy to learn, and comes
with many of the libraries to simplify almost all scientific tasks,

* Python has a huge community!

* I don't care about speed! It is much more important to have a
modular design that can be easily understood, read by others and
extended.

Specifically, I'm interested waveguides that are doped with
luminescent materials for photovoltaics (see here http://homepage.mac.com/danieljfarrell).
I would therefore be very happy to donate these codes to any python
ray tracing project. And also help out with implementing the general
structure.

Cheers,

Dan

Yosef

Aug 4, 2009, 7:31:15 AM8/4/09
to python-ray-tracing-community
Hi,

I'm a graduate student, working in the general field of concentrator
optics. I'm currently working on a Python ray-tracer with an intern,
and hope to release something usable by next month.

Like Daniel, I started because I favor programmability and flexibility
over speed, but I think speed is also achievable, using Cython for
bottlenecks.