CMake build system

dermont

Jan 30, 2011, 2:43:51 AM1/30/11
to Python Ogre Developers
There were some recent discussions regarding changing the build system
and creating a 'core' package with reduced libraries.

With that in mind I have created a simple python script (linux only)
to generate CMake build files as a proof of concept. The script
currently uses the existing paths/libs/includes from
environment.py(PythonOgreConfig_*) and generates the xml cache/wrapper
code as normal in the existing python-ogre directory.

The wrapper code for the above is compiled and the module installed in
the directory the script is run.

I've only tested a few modules on Linux and there is still a lot of
work to be done but it currently meets my needs.

The above could easily be updated to so that 'non core' packages are
self-contained i.e. the generator code/ xml cache file / wrapper code
is all contained within it's own module. Each module could
automatically generate it's own 'sub' environment.py where libs/
includes are obtained from FIND_PACKAGE or PythonOgreConfig_*.py as
currently done.

CMake currently has ExternalProject which could be used to build
dependencies.

http://www.kitware.com/products/html/BuildingExternalProjectsWithCMake2.8.html

What would this offer that Andy's current build system does, nothing
really, other than the fact it may be easier for Linux distro
packagers to create/distribute package using a build system they are
familiar with.

No changes were required to python-ogre. I wonder if anyone is
interested in this?

Marcus Johnson

Jan 30, 2011, 10:57:58 PM1/30/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I would have preferred to have had an easy-install package, or even just a one run script that would install the basic components to get a project up and running, and then as I got deeper into python ogre, I wouldn't mine looking at the install scripts and working out what I need to do to install what packages.  Unless a package will be specifically updated with a package manager such as apt-get, I think a more helpful thing to do would be provide an update script, and/or provide at least a small wiki page with a comprehensible guide on how to use the BuildModule.py and environment.py scripts.  I could not for the life of me figure those out when I first started with python ogre because I was also starting with Python in general at that time.

andy miller

Jan 30, 2011, 11:54:50 PM1/30/11
to python-ogre-developers
I'd certainly like to take a look at what you've done..  While the current build is in good shape (for Ogre/Ois at least) it would be interesting to see how it could be managed with Cmake..

One option I will look at over the CNY holiday is to build a basic binary package specifically for Ubuntu 10.10 -- the state of supporting libraries/packages has improved significantly since the project first started hence we can probably get away with a fairly simple set of binaries to allow people to get a quick start -- and yes I know this isn't very "Linux Like" :)

Another option I've thought about which might work well with CMake would be to distribute the "generated" source files - this way we could remove the need for the generate pass (and gccxml/pyplus etc) and do a straight compile...

Andy

dermont

Jan 31, 2011, 1:52:31 AM1/31/11
to Python Ogre Developers, andy miller
Sent via e-mail, sorry don't know to upload attachments to the board.
> >http://www.kitware.com/products/html/BuildingExternalProjectsWithCMak...
>
> > What would this offer that Andy's current build system does, nothing
> > really, other than the fact it may be easier for Linux distro
> > packagers to create/distribute package using a build system they are
> > familiar with.
>
> > No changes were required to python-ogre. I wonder if anyone is
> > interested in this?
>
> > --
> > .

Marcus Johnson

Jan 31, 2011, 11:50:11 AM1/31/11
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
How can you say it's not "Linux-like"? A majority of linux distros now use package systems, and the only purpose I can see behind them besides automatically doing everything for the user (which truly isn't supporting of the philosophy behind linux) and providing a central way to update without subscribing to 62 mailing lists on the most basic install.  Personally I find myself  using packages for software that I would like to use but have no intention of modifying, etc. and I compile myself when I have intention of modifying and/or contributing source code.