Python-Ogre Debian/Ubuntu Packages - Try 3

Tim Ansell

Sep 1, 2008, 6:09:51 AM9/1/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

So a couple of weeks ago I finally solved my AMD64 problem, so I'm now
very close to having a "good" set of python ogre packages for Debian and
Ubuntu.

These packages include an upgraded ogre (1.4.9) and any extra
dependencies which might be needed.

There are a number of outstanding issues,
* ogreal module has issues
* caleum module is not included (but will be when I get working)
* ogreode module is not included (but will be when I get working)
* demos are not included (will package into a separate package)

As mentioned previously, non-FOSS modules will never be included. I
could use any feedback.

I will soon move onto getting python-ogre with ogre 1.6 and cegui 6.1
packaged.

Instructions on how to test are as follows,

For my project Thousand Parsec I have packaged Python Ogre for Debian
and Ubuntu (hopefully RPM based distros will be coming soon).

Thousand Parsec has it's own APT repository the easiest way to get
Python Ogre is to use this repository. Just follow these instructions.

1. The packages and the repository meta-data are digitally signed, so
you'll need to import the key into your apt's list of trusted keys in
order to not get warnings about it.

curl http://packages.thousandparsec.net/key.asc | sudo apt-key add -

Ignore any failure on this step, it is not important.

2. Add the following lines to either your /etc/apt/sources.list file or
to a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

Replace the "DIST" text with whatever is appropriate for your system.
(See the table right for a list of supported distributions and
architectures.)

# Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
deb http://packages.thousandparsec.net/DIST DIST repository
deb-src http://packages.thousandparsec.net/DIST DIST repository

For example, if your distro is Ubuntu Gutsy, then you would use the
following configuration statements:

# Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
deb http://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsy gutsy universe
deb-src http://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsy gutsy universe

Or, if your distro is Debian Unstable , then you would use the following
configuration statements:

# Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
deb http://packages.thousandparsec.net/sid sid main
deb-src http://packages.thousandparsec.net/sid sid main

3. Run the this command to update your local copy of the package
meta-data.

sudo apt-get update

4. You can now use your favorite package selection tool to install or
upgrade the Thousand Parsec packages. Here's how to do it with apt-get:

sudo apt-get install python-ogre

Tim 'Mithro' Ansell

Jeff

Sep 1, 2008, 8:00:53 AM9/1/08
to Python Ogre Developers
Hello,

I added that to sources.list on my i386 Debian unstable system and
updated, but it doesn't seem to find any "python-ogre" package when I
try to install it. On the thousandparsec website, I see .debs for
Gutsy
and Hardy, but not Etch or Sid. Is it Ubuntu-only for now?

Thanks,
Jeff

Tim Ansell

Sep 1, 2008, 9:45:10 AM9/1/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com

Opps! It appears that I forgot the import the ogre packages into Debian
etch. I have started the process, they will appear in about 12 hours.

I don't have the ability to build Sid packages at the moment, only Etch.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

Jeff Ames

Sep 1, 2008, 11:11:10 AM9/1/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
> Opps! It appears that I forgot the import the ogre packages into Debian
> etch. I have started the process, they will appear in about 12 hours.

Thanks! I see it now in the Etch packages. It installs fine, but
when I try to import, I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "test.py", line 1, in <module>
import ogre.renderer.OGRE as ogre
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/renderer/OGRE/__init__.py",
line 10, in <module>
from _ogre_ import *
ImportError: No module named _ogre_

I don't see any _ogre_.* files on my system. Is there something else
I need to install?

Jeff

benchang

Sep 2, 2008, 1:22:00 AM9/2/08
to Python Ogre Developers
Hi Tim,

thanks for the packages! that was the easiest install of ogre or
python-ogre i've done yet :)

until demo packages are done, maybe we should have a note on the wiki
instructions with a reminder to set the paths in plugins.cfg.

I get errors that the CgProgramManager is missing; or is that just
because I'm running old versions of the demos?

--ben

On Sep 1, 6:09 am, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So a couple of weeks ago I finally solved my AMD64 problem, so I'm now
> very close to having a "good" set of python ogre packages for Debian and
> Ubuntu.
>
> These packages include an upgraded ogre (1.4.9) and any extra
> dependencies which might be needed.
>
> There are a number of outstanding issues,
>       * ogreal module has issues
>       * caleum module is not included (but will be when I get working)
>       * ogreode module is not included (but will be when I get working)
>       * demos are not included (will package into a separate package)
>
> As mentioned previously, non-FOSS modules will never be included. I
> could use any feedback.
>
> I will soon move onto getting python-ogre with ogre 1.6 and cegui 6.1
> packaged.
>
> Instructions on how to test are as follows,
>
> For my project Thousand Parsec I have packaged Python Ogre for Debian
> and Ubuntu (hopefully RPM based distros will be coming soon).
>
> Thousand Parsec has it's own APT repository the easiest way to get
> Python Ogre is to use this repository. Just follow these instructions.
>
> 1. The packages and the repository meta-data are digitally signed, so
> you'll need to import the key into your apt's list of trusted keys in
> order to not get warnings about it.
>
>  curlhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/key.asc| sudo apt-key add -
>
> Ignore any failure on this step, it is not important.
>
> 2. Add the following lines to either your /etc/apt/sources.list file or
> to a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.
>
> Replace the "DIST" text with whatever is appropriate for your system.
> (See the table right for a list of supported distributions and
> architectures.)
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/DISTDIST repository
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/DISTDIST repository
>
> For example, if your distro is Ubuntu Gutsy, then you would use the
> following configuration statements:
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsygutsy universe
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsygutsy universe
>
> Or, if your distro is Debian Unstable , then you would use the following
> configuration statements:
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/sidsid main
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/sidsid main

Tim Ansell

Sep 2, 2008, 4:25:46 AM9/2/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
<snip>

> I get errors that the CgProgramManager is missing; or is that just
> because I'm running old versions of the demos?

This doesn't give us any useful information for fixing this problem.
Please include the following,

a) What demo are you running?
b) What output are you getting? (The exact error not just "it's saying
it's missing").
c) Where did you get the demos from?
d) What did you do to make the demos run?

Thanks for your help.

Tim 'Mithro' Ansell

> --ben
<snip>

TackyParker

Sep 2, 2008, 7:53:09 PM9/2/08
to Python Ogre Developers
I'm getting a 404 error on retrieving key.asc.

On Sep 1, 6:09 am, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> So a couple of weeks ago I finally solved my AMD64 problem, so I'm now
> very close to having a "good" set of python ogre packages for Debian and
> Ubuntu.
>
> These packages include an upgraded ogre (1.4.9) and any extra
> dependencies which might be needed.
>
> There are a number of outstanding issues,
>       * ogreal module has issues
>       * caleum module is not included (but will be when I get working)
>       * ogreode module is not included (but will be when I get working)
>       * demos are not included (will package into a separate package)
>
> As mentioned previously, non-FOSS modules will never be included. I
> could use any feedback.
>
> I will soon move onto getting python-ogre with ogre 1.6 and cegui 6.1
> packaged.
>
> Instructions on how to test are as follows,
>
> For my project Thousand Parsec I have packaged Python Ogre for Debian
> and Ubuntu (hopefully RPM based distros will be coming soon).
>
> Thousand Parsec has it's own APT repository the easiest way to get
> Python Ogre is to use this repository. Just follow these instructions.
>
> 1. The packages and the repository meta-data are digitally signed, so
> you'll need to import the key into your apt's list of trusted keys in
> order to not get warnings about it.
>
>  curlhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/key.asc| sudo apt-key add -
>
> Ignore any failure on this step, it is not important.
>
> 2. Add the following lines to either your /etc/apt/sources.list file or
> to a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.
>
> Replace the "DIST" text with whatever is appropriate for your system.
> (See the table right for a list of supported distributions and
> architectures.)
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/DISTDIST repository
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/DISTDIST repository
>
> For example, if your distro is Ubuntu Gutsy, then you would use the
> following configuration statements:
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsygutsy universe
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/gutsygutsy universe
>
> Or, if your distro is Debian Unstable , then you would use the following
> configuration statements:
>
>   # Thousand Parsec repository at packages.thousandparsec.net
>   debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/sidsid main
>   deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/sidsid main

Tim Ansell

Sep 2, 2008, 11:24:19 PM9/2/08
On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 16:53 -0700, TackyParker wrote:
> I'm getting a 404 error on retrieving key.asc.

<snip>

You can ignore that step for now (but I'm going to leave it in the
instructions so when people search they get consistent info). We are
still trying to figure out how to sign the repositories correctly.

Tim

TackyParker

Sep 3, 2008, 1:50:19 PM9/3/08
to Python Ogre Developers
On Sep 2, 11:24 pm, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 16:53 -0700, TackyParker wrote:
> > I'm getting a 404 error on retrieving key.asc.
>
> You can ignore that step for now (but I'm going to leave it in the
> instructions so when people search they get consistent info). We are
> still trying to figure out how to sign the repositories correctly.

I saw the note about ignoring that step, but the overall process
failed, so I assumed that was the issue.

Here's more details about the process:

sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ tail -2 /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe
deb-src http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe

sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy Release.gpg
Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Translation-
en_US
Get:1 http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy Release [3696B]
Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Packages
Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Sources
Hit http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Packages
Hit http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Sources
Fetched 1B in 0s (1B/s)
Reading package lists... Done

sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-ogre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package python-ogre

I notice that http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy/pool/universe/p/python-ogre/
doesn't have a amd64 deb. Could that be my issue?

Tim Ansell

Sep 5, 2008, 2:50:12 AM9/5/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com

This should be finally fixed! Just do an,

apt-get update
apt-get install python-ogre

Oh, you can also get the "demos" now too.

apt-get install python-ogre-demos

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

Tim Ansell

Sep 5, 2008, 3:03:40 AM9/5/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
<snip>

> sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ tail -2 /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe
> deb-src http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy hardy universe
>
> sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
> Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy Release.gpg
> Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Translation-
> en_US
> Get:1 http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy Release [3696B]
> Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Packages
> Ign http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Sources
> Hit http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Packages
> Hit http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe Sources
> Fetched 1B in 0s (1B/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
>
> sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-ogre
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package python-ogre
>
> I notice that http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy/pool/universe/p/python-ogre/
> doesn't have a amd64 deb. Could that be my issue?

I have fixed the problem which was causing amd64 debs to get clobbered.
If you do an update you should be able to install the packages now.

You can also get the demos using,

TackyParker

Sep 5, 2008, 7:41:18 AM9/5/08
to Python Ogre Developers
The python-ogre install appeared to work, although there was an error/
warning about libboost_index_... not being a symbolic link. I don't
know if that is an issue or not. I made it into a symlink and ran apt-
get install python-ogre again just to be sure.

The python-ogre-demo install gives the following errors and warnings,
sorry in advance, but it's longish:

laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-ogre-demos
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-ogre-demos
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 76.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 118MB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
python-ogre-demos
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://packages.thousandparsec.net hardy/universe python-ogre-
demos 0.0.0-1 [76.3MB]
Fetched 76.3MB in 6min29s (196kB/
s)
Selecting previously deselected package python-ogre-demos.
(Reading database ... 149457 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking python-ogre-demos (from .../python-ogre-
demos_0.0.0-1_all.deb) ...
Setting up python-ogre-demos (0.0.0-1) ...
Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/nxogre/BetaGui.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/nxogre/BetaGui.py", line 79
for(std::vector<Window*>::iterator i=mWindows.begin();i!
=mWindows.end();++i)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:84:
SyntaxWarning: name 'NUM_ATHENE_MATERIALS' is assigned to before
global declaration
global
NUM_ATHENE_MATERIALS,mAtheneMaterials,NUM_SHADOW_TECH,mShadowTechDescriptions
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:84:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mAtheneMaterials' is assigned to before global
declaration
global
NUM_ATHENE_MATERIALS,mAtheneMaterials,NUM_SHADOW_TECH,mShadowTechDescriptions
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:84:
SyntaxWarning: name 'NUM_SHADOW_TECH' is assigned to before global
declaration
global
NUM_ATHENE_MATERIALS,mAtheneMaterials,NUM_SHADOW_TECH,mShadowTechDescriptions
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:84:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mShadowTechDescriptions' is assigned to before
global declaration
global
NUM_ATHENE_MATERIALS,mAtheneMaterials,NUM_SHADOW_TECH,mShadowTechDescriptions
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:85:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mShadowTech' is assigned to before global
declaration
global
mShadowTech,mShadowTechSoft,mSoftShadowsSupported,mCurrentAtheneMaterial,mCurrentShadowTechnique
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:85:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mShadowTechSoft' is assigned to before global
declaration
global
mShadowTech,mShadowTechSoft,mSoftShadowsSupported,mCurrentAtheneMaterial,mCurrentShadowTechnique
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:85:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mSoftShadowsSupported' is assigned to before
global declaration
global
mShadowTech,mShadowTechSoft,mSoftShadowsSupported,mCurrentAtheneMaterial,mCurrentShadowTechnique
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:85:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mCurrentAtheneMaterial' is assigned to before
global declaration
global
mShadowTech,mShadowTechSoft,mSoftShadowsSupported,mCurrentAtheneMaterial,mCurrentShadowTechnique
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Demo_Shadows_Org.py:85:
SyntaxWarning: name 'mCurrentShadowTechnique' is assigned to before
global declaration
global
mShadowTech,mShadowTechSoft,mSoftShadowsSupported,mCurrentAtheneMaterial,mCurrentShadowTechnique
Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Julia.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Julia.py", line 6
/**
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Shadows.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/Shadows.py", line 1
/*
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/ThingRenderable.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/ThingRenderable.py", line 1
/*
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/VolumeRenderable.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/VolumeRenderable.py", line 1
/*
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/VolumeTex.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/VolumeTex.py", line 10
TexturePtr ptex
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/demo_water_s.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/demo_water_s.py", line 159
posnormVertexBuffer = \

^
SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/water1.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/water1.py", line 41
void prepareCircleMaterial()
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/water_mesh_s.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/water_mesh_s.py", line 60
posVertexBuffer = \

^
SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/
SimpleScenes_Crash.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/SimpleScenes_Crash.py",
line 96
OgreOde.BoxMass apache_mass(1.5,Vector3(1.4,1.46,4.24))
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/
GranTurismOgre.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/
GranTurismOgre.py", line 17
class GranTurismOgreFrameListener.GranTurismOgreFrameListener
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/
Landscape.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/Landscape.py",
line 7
INT WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInst, HINSTANCE, LPSTR strCmdLine,
INT )
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/
test_chain2.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreode/toworkon/test_chain2.py",
line 39
c = dJointCreateContact (world.id(),contactgroup.id(),&contact)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (163)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (163)
dpkg: error processing python-ogre-demos (--configure):
python-ogre-demos

On Sep 5, 3:03 am, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ tail -2 /etc/apt/sources.list
> > debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardyhardy universe
> > deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardyhardy universe
>
> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy Release.gpg
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Translation-
> > en_US
> > Get:1http://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy Release [3696B]
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Packages
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Sources
> > Hithttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Packages
> > Hithttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Sources
> > Fetched 1B in 0s (1B/s)
> > Reading package lists... Done
>
> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-ogre
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > E: Couldn't find package python-ogre
>
> > I notice thathttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy/pool/universe/p/python-ogre/

TackyParker

Sep 5, 2008, 7:47:14 AM9/5/08
to Python Ogre Developers
When attempting to run the Demo_Smoke.py demo from my old development
folder, I get the following error at the end of the stdout:

python: OgreRoot.cpp:100: static Ogre::Root&
Ogre::Root::getSingleton(): Assertion `ms_Singleton' failed.
Aborted

Have you seen this before?

FYI, my plugins.cfg says:

# Define plugin folder
PluginFolder=/usr/local/lib/OGRE

# Define D3D rendering implementation plugin
Plugin=RenderSystem_GL.so
Plugin=Plugin_ParticleFX.so
Plugin=Plugin_BSPSceneManager.so
Plugin=Plugin_OctreeSceneManager.so
Plugin=Plugin_CgProgramManager.so

Thanks,
Scott

On Sep 5, 3:03 am, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ tail -2 /etc/apt/sources.list
> > debhttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardyhardy universe
> > deb-srchttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardyhardy universe
>
> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get update
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy Release.gpg
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Translation-
> > en_US
> > Get:1http://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy Release [3696B]
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Packages
> > Ignhttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Sources
> > Hithttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Packages
> > Hithttp://packages.thousandparsec.nethardy/universe Sources
> > Fetched 1B in 0s (1B/s)
> > Reading package lists... Done
>
> > sshorter@sshorter-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install python-ogre
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > E: Couldn't find package python-ogre
>
> > I notice thathttp://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy/pool/universe/p/python-ogre/

Tim Ansell

Sep 6, 2008, 8:46:36 AM9/6/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
You have an incompatible version of ogre installed
in /usr/local/lib/OGRE.

Remove both this and your plugins.cfg (it should then default to
reading /etc/OGRE/plugins.cfg).

Tim

TackyParker

Sep 8, 2008, 6:52:34 AM9/8/08
to Python Ogre Developers
> You have an incompatible version of ogre installed
> in /usr/local/lib/OGRE.

I've messed around with trying to get it working enough, I wonder what
step that happened in.

> Remove both this and your plugins.cfg (it should then default to
> reading /etc/OGRE/plugins.cfg).

Done. I also had to remove ../plugins.cfg since it apparently searches
up.

Things seem to be working much better, though many of the demos seg
fault or otherwise fail, at least some of them are working now.

Thanks for the tips, Tim!
-
Scott

Freyr

Sep 9, 2008, 6:40:40 PM9/9/08
to Python Ogre Developers
Hi thanks for the package,

I managed to get in python-ogre installed using the universe repo
(initial post said main).

I ran into a few issues though.

1. the libOgreMain was incompatable with ubuntu hardy ogre version.
Solved by importing the ogre libs from your repo. (Uses a different
naming scheme)
2. SampleFramework used in the tutorials is not included.
3. _bullet_.so not included

Is this a skimmed version of the python-ogre collection or are there
other reasons for these missing files?

Anyways thanks for the effort.

appreciate it :)

Freyr

Tim Ansell

Sep 10, 2008, 6:38:46 AM9/10/08
On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 15:40 -0700, Freyr wrote:
> Hi thanks for the package,
>
> I managed to get in python-ogre installed using the universe repo
> (initial post said main).

You need to use main if you are using Debian and universe if you are
using Ubuntu as the html on packages.thousandparsec.net explains.

> I ran into a few issues though.
>
> 1. the libOgreMain was incompatable with ubuntu hardy ogre version.
> Solved by importing the ogre libs from your repo. (Uses a different
> naming scheme)

Have you pinned the Ubuntu repository? By default apt should see the
updated packages in my repo and download them.

> 2. SampleFramework used in the tutorials is not included.

$ dpkg --listfiles python-ogre-demos | grep SampleFramework.py
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/SampleFramework.py
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/noise/SampleFramework.py
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/tests/SampleFramework.py
/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/showcase_01/SampleFramework.py

Seems to be to me.

> 3. _bullet_.so not included

It doesn't compile, so it not included.

> Is this a skimmed version of the python-ogre collection or are there
> other reasons for these missing files?

The ones which don't compile easily are not included, I hope to fix
these in the future. Any module which is non-free is not included, these
will never be included.

> Anyways thanks for the effort.
>
> appreciate it :)
>
> Freyr

Tim

Lakin Wecker

Sep 10, 2008, 8:51:14 AM9/10/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
> 3. _bullet_.so not included

It doesn't compile, so it not included.

> Is this a skimmed version of the python-ogre collection or are there
> other reasons for these missing files?

The ones which don't compile easily are not included, I hope to fix
these in the future. Any module which is non-free is not included, these
will never be included.

Is your definition of non-free the same as Debian's definition or different?

Lakin

Tim Ansell

Sep 10, 2008, 10:06:27 AM9/10/08
On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 04:41 -0700, TackyParker wrote:
> The python-ogre install appeared to work, although there was an error/
> warning about libboost_index_... not being a symbolic link. I don't
> know if that is an issue or not. I made it into a symlink and ran apt-
> get install python-ogre again just to be sure.

It is a warning you can safely ignore it.

> The python-ogre-demo install gives the following errors and warnings,
> sorry in advance, but it's longish:

The below errors should be fixed (the packages are currently importing
into packages.thousandparsec.net and should be there within the hour).

You might have to remove the package before you can upgrade however.

<snip>

Tim

Tim Ansell

Sep 10, 2008, 10:25:00 AM9/10/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
<snip>

> Is your definition of non-free the same as Debian's definition or
> different?
>
> Lakin

My definition is pretty much "any OSI approved license". So I guess I'm
a little less strict then Debian. If it gets into Ubuntu, it's likely to
be okay. Anything provides are a binary-only module is not okay (plus it
makes supporting non-i386 arch hard).

There may be some way in the future for others to provide the non-free
extensions as extra debs, but I'm not working towards that.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

Freyr

Sep 10, 2008, 6:06:56 PM9/10/08
to Python Ogre Developers
Hi thanks for the replay

comments inline

On Sep 10, 10:38 am, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 15:40 -0700, Freyr wrote:
> > Hi thanks for the package,
>
> > I managed to get in python-ogre installed using the universe repo
> > (initial post said main).
>
> You need to use main if you are using Debian and universe if you are
> using Ubuntu as the html on packages.thousandparsec.net explains.

Didn't read that thoroughly enough it seams

> > I ran into a few issues though.
>
> > 1. the libOgreMain was incompatable with ubuntu hardy ogre version.
> > Solved by importing the ogre libs from your repo.  (Uses a different
> > naming scheme)
>
> Have you pinned the Ubuntu repository? By default apt should see the
> updated packages in my repo and download them.

Yes I have my repository pinned. Unfortunately I'm not quite
proficient enough with pinning to fit the thousandparec repo into it
properly.
But I have that part fixed anyway.

> > 2. SampleFramework used in the tutorials is not included.
>
> $ dpkg --listfiles python-ogre-demos |  grep SampleFramework.py
> /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/SampleFramework.py
> /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/noise/SampleFramework.py
> /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogre/tests/SampleFramework.py
> /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/showcase_01/SampleFramework.py
>
> Seems to be to me.

Ah thanks... sloppy detective work on my part.

> > 3. _bullet_.so not included
>
> It doesn't compile, so it not included.

I can see how that can be a problem. Subject of a separate thread.

> > Is this a skimmed version of the python-ogre collection or are there
> > other reasons for these missing files?
>
> The ones which don't compile easily are not included, I hope to fix
> these in the future. Any module which is non-free is not included, these
> will never be included.

gotcha

> > Anyways thanks for the effort.
>
> > appreciate it :)
>
> > Freyr
>
> Tim

Thanks for the response

Freyr

gord allott

Sep 18, 2008, 3:13:02 PM9/18/08
to Python Ogre Developers

hi, tried to install on ubuntu hardy - ogre wasn't installed nor any
version of python-ogre (completly new to python-ogre, so no half done
self building laying about). python-ogre install seemed to go great
but the python-ogre-demos package wouldn't install at all, syntax
errors in a python file that was being compiled (into pyc i assume).
tried just untaring the .deb and the data.tar.gz myself to get at the
demos at least and 99% of them wouldn't run, at first it was issues
with CEGUI, it was looking for .so files when all i have a .so.1
or .so.0 and such. had to create a bunch of symlinks to get around
that. after that a few more rather basic demos ran but pretty much all
the rest either had strange errors such as:
gord@nala:/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreforests$ python
Demo_Forest_02.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Demo_Forest_02.py", line 6, in <module>
import ogre.addons.ogreforests as forests
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/addons/ogreforests/
__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from _ogreforests_ import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/addons/ogreforests/
_ogreforests_.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN5boost6python8indexing15python_iteratorC1ENS0_3api6objectE

and:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 217, in <module>
ta.go()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/renderer/OGRE/
sf_OIS.py", line 66, in go
if not self._setUp():
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/renderer/OGRE/
sf_OIS.py", line 107, in _setUp
self._createScene()
File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 189, in _createScene
self._createGUI()
File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 144, in _createGUI
sheet =
cegui.WindowManager.getSingleton().loadWindowLayout("facial.layout",
False)
Boost.Python.ArgumentError: Python argument types in
WindowManager.loadWindowLayout(WindowManager, str, bool)
did not match C++ signature:
loadWindowLayout(CEGUI::WindowManager {lvalue}, CEGUI::String
filename, CEGUI::String name_prefix='', CEGUI::String
resourceGroup='')

a bunch of demos wouldn't work, even the ode demos, simpily because
they were trying to import _ode instead of ode and such. I'm not sure
how to proceed from here, is this all a result of not being able to
install the demos via the package manager? me and a friend are fresh
out of a game development competition and we would really like try
something more long term, python-ogre was looking great until this.
are these problems 'fixable'?

as far as i can tell any libraries that python-ogre relies on is at
the http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy version not the default
ubuntu version (where applicable)

python-ogre-demos problem:
sudo apt-get install python-ogre-demos
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-ogre-demos is already the newest version.
required:
libmono-zeroconf1.0-cil libtagc0 libkarma0 libavahi1.0-cil libnjb5
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 324 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up python-ogre-demos (0.0.0-1) ...
Compiling /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/nxogre/BetaGui.py ...
File "/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/nxogre/BetaGui.py", line 79
for(std::vector<Window*>::iterator i=mWindows.begin();i!
=mWindows.end();++i)
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Tim Ansell

Sep 18, 2008, 11:40:09 PM9/18/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would recommend adding a few capitals and paragraphs to your email. It
is kind of hard to read at the moment.

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 12:13 -0700, gord allott wrote:

> hi, tried to install on ubuntu hardy - ogre wasn't installed nor any
> version of python-ogre (completly new to python-ogre, so no half done
> self building laying about). python-ogre install seemed to go great
> but the python-ogre-demos package wouldn't install at all, syntax
> errors in a python file that was being compiled (into pyc i assume).

This should be fixed. I had forgotten to import the new demos package
into the hardy repository. When you download it should be version
0.0.0-2.

> tried just untaring the .deb and the data.tar.gz myself to get at the
> demos at least and 99% of them wouldn't run, at first it was issues
> with CEGUI, it was looking for .so files when all i have a .so.1
> or .so.0 and such. had to create a bunch of symlinks to get around
> that.

I'm looking into this issue. The temporary fix is to install
libcegui-mk2-dev.

> after that a few more rather basic demos ran but pretty much all
> the rest either had strange errors such as:
> gord@nala:/usr/share/python-ogre-demos/ogreforests$ python
> Demo_Forest_02.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "Demo_Forest_02.py", line 6, in <module>
> import ogre.addons.ogreforests as forests
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/addons/ogreforests/
> __init__.py", line 1, in <module>
> from _ogreforests_ import *
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/addons/ogreforests/
> _ogreforests_.so: undefined symbol:
> _ZN5boost6python8indexing15python_iteratorC1ENS0_3api6objectE

ogreforest is not being linked against boost-python-indexing, please log
a bug on SourceForge and I will fix it.

> and:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 217, in <module>
> ta.go()
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/renderer/OGRE/
> sf_OIS.py", line 66, in go
> if not self._setUp():
> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ogre/renderer/OGRE/
> sf_OIS.py", line 107, in _setUp
> self._createScene()
> File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 189, in _createScene
> self._createGUI()
> File "Demo_CEGUI_Facial.py", line 144, in _createGUI
> sheet =
> cegui.WindowManager.getSingleton().loadWindowLayout("facial.layout",
> False)
> Boost.Python.ArgumentError: Python argument types in
> WindowManager.loadWindowLayout(WindowManager, str, bool)
> did not match C++ signature:
> loadWindowLayout(CEGUI::WindowManager {lvalue}, CEGUI::String
> filename, CEGUI::String name_prefix='', CEGUI::String
> resourceGroup='')

This demo appears to be using an old version of loadWindowLayout. Try
removing the False at the end. Log a bug report on SourceForge and I
will look into getting it fixed.

> a bunch of demos wouldn't work, even the ode demos, simpily because
> they were trying to import _ode instead of ode and such.

ODE is not included in the package (I have yet to get it to compile on
Linux) and hence none of the ODE demos will work. I'll remove them from
the demos package.

> I'm not sure
> how to proceed from here, is this all a result of not being able to
> install the demos via the package manager? me and a friend are fresh
> out of a game development competition and we would really like try
> something more long term, python-ogre was looking great until this.
> are these problems 'fixable'?
>
> as far as i can tell any libraries that python-ogre relies on is at
> the http://packages.thousandparsec.net/hardy version not the default
> ubuntu version (where applicable)

Not sure what you mean by this?

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

<snip>

Tim Ansell

Sep 18, 2008, 11:41:55 PM9/18/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com

Can you log bug reports for the demos which segfault and fail so we can
look at getting them fixed.

Tim 'mithro' Ansell

Ivan Vucica

Sep 24, 2008, 10:29:32 AM9/24/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim!

First thanks for your work.

Second, I was hoping etch build would be usable on Sid; this is not
the case since you've set dependency python (<2.5). Could you set it
to "python-2.4" and recommend "python (<2.5)"? That would be better
since this is not for production use anyway (yet!) so people can force
python-2.4 if they use PythonOgre. I'll try hardy packages in the
meantime.

Third, what's the issue with building for Sid? :)

Thanks again.

--
Regards,

Ivan Vučica

OBJECT Networks :: www.objectnetworks.net
Cateia Games :: www.cateia.com

Tim Ansell

Sep 26, 2008, 12:30:47 AM9/26/08
On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 16:29 +0200, Ivan Vucica wrote:
> Hi Tim!
>
> First thanks for your work.
>
> Second, I was hoping etch build would be usable on Sid; this is not
> the case since you've set dependency python (<2.5). Could you set it
> to "python-2.4" and recommend "python (<2.5)"? That would be better
> since this is not for production use anyway (yet!) so people can force
> python-2.4 if they use PythonOgre. I'll try hardy packages in the
> meantime.

You can't use Python Ogre compiled against 2.4 against a python 2.5
Python Ogre is a C++ module, not a portable pure-python module.

> Third, what's the issue with building for Sid? :)

The opensuse build service does not provide a sid system to build on. In
theory you could build it yourself.

Tim

Ivan Vucica

Sep 26, 2008, 2:30:41 AM9/26/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you understand :)

Debian ships python, python-2.4 and python-2.5, with python depending
on python-2.5.

If you set dependency on python < 2.5 I can't install python-ogre.
Changing dependency to python-2.4 would allow me to install it and to
run it with Python 2.4.

By the way, I tried hardy packages (for py2.5) on Debian and cegui
demos don't seem to work. I'll try to test more extensively when I'm
on desktop.

Ivan Vucica

Sep 26, 2008, 1:29:50 PM9/26/08

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 06:30, Tim Ansell <mit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Third, what's the issue with building for Sid? :)
>
> The opensuse build service does not provide a sid system to build on. In
> theory you could build it yourself.

Ahh, so that's what you're using ;)
I've tried it some time ago, but it seemed like too much of a hassle to get it to work, so I gave up.

Also, in the meantime, I tried Hardy packages on Sid. I had to run the demos as root (!!!); they _had_ to be ran with /usr/share/python-ogre-demos/<folder> as current working directory, but they _could not_ write to that folder for obvious reasons. Correct behaviour would, of course, be to write in ~/.python-ogre-demos/<folder> or elsewhere in the home folder.

Results for the demos (logs attached):
  • ogre/Demo_OneFish.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_ParticleFX.py - FAIL
  • ogre/Demo_SkeletalAnimation.py - SUCCESS

Ivan Vucica

Sep 26, 2008, 1:59:32 PM9/26/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the half written mail. Accidentally hit Send. Attachments given here along with further tests.

Results for the demos (logs attached):

  • ogre/Demo_OneFish.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_ParticleFX.py - FAIL (no particle system data)
  • ogre/Demo_SkeletalAnimation.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_SkeletonAnimation.py - !SEGFAULT!
  • ogre/Demo_SkyBox.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_SkyDome.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_Shadows.py - FAIL (CEGUITinyXML problem)
  • ogre/Demo_OgreCollision02.py - FAIL (no ODE, but that's knownas far as I understand)
  • ogre/Demo_Terrain.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_BSP.py - FAIL (syntax error in the demo - incorrect number of arguments in a f. call)
  • ogre/Demo_Terrain.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_Video.py - FAIL (no OgreDShow -- haha, I wonder why :) :) :) )
  • ogre/Demo_Lighting.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_CameraTracking.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_Facial.py - SUCCESS
  • ogre/Demo_Grass.py - SUCCESS
  • cegui/Demo_CEGUI_Gui.py - FAIL (CEGUITinyXML problem -- I did no further tests on cegui demos)
  • theora/demo_video.py - FAIL (No theora? Come on ;) )
  • ogreforests/Demo_Forest_01.py - FAIL (import error; undefined symbol in Boost::PythonIndex)
  • qgui/Demo_QuickGUI01.py - FAIL (no module quickgui)

I'd also like to note that many .material scripts seem to be incorrect / unrecognizable. Also there's one RuntimeWarning concerning C API version mismatch (versions 1012 and versions 1013), perhaps it makes more sense to you.

OgreAL demo seems to crash very soon after starting but I didn't feel like creating another log.

Until next time!

2008/9/26 Ivan Vucica <ivu...@gmail.com>

ogre_Demo_ParticleFX.txt
ogre_Demo_SkeletonAnimation.txt
ogre_Demo_Shadows.txt
ogre_Demo_BSP.txt
cegui_Demo_CEGUI_Gui.txt

Ivan Vucica

Sep 26, 2008, 2:00:19 PM9/26/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
One attachment missing (for demo_forest).

2008/9/26 Ivan Vucica <ivu...@gmail.com>
ogreforests_Demo_Forest_01.txt

Tim Ansell

Sep 28, 2008, 9:15:19 PM9/28/08
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 08:30 +0200, Ivan Vucica wrote:
> I don't think you understand :)
>
> Debian ships python, python-2.4 and python-2.5, with python depending
> on python-2.5.
>
> If you set dependency on python < 2.5 I can't install python-ogre.
> Changing dependency to python-2.4 would allow me to install it and to
> run it with Python 2.4.

This is now python-central works. Without doing a custom package for
Debian (which I don't have time too), I can't work around this problem.

> By the way, I tried hardy packages (for py2.5) on Debian and cegui
> demos don't seem to work. I'll try to test more extensively when I'm
> on desktop.

Try installing libcegui-mk2-dev and check to see if the cegui demos
work.

Tim

Tim Ansell

Sep 28, 2008, 9:23:19 PM9/28/08
to python-ogre...@googlegroups.com
> * ogre/Demo_OneFish.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_ParticleFX.py - FAIL (no particle system data)
> * ogre/Demo_SkeletalAnimation.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_SkeletonAnimation.py - !SEGFAULT!
> * ogre/Demo_SkyBox.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_SkyDome.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_Shadows.py - FAIL (CEGUITinyXML problem)
> * cegui/Demo_CEGUI_Gui.py - FAIL (CEGUITinyXML problem -- I did

> no further tests on cegui demos)

Try installing libcegui-mk2-dev and see if this fixes your problem.

> * ogre/Demo_OgreCollision02.py - FAIL (no ODE, but that's

> knownas far as I understand)

> * ogre/Demo_Terrain.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_BSP.py - FAIL (syntax error in the demo - incorrect

> number of arguments in a f. call)

Log a bug report so we can fix the demo.

> * ogre/Demo_Terrain.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_Video.py - FAIL (no OgreDShow -- haha, I wonder

> why :) :) :) )

> * ogre/Demo_Lighting.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_CameraTracking.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_Facial.py - SUCCESS
> * ogre/Demo_Grass.py - SUCCESS

> * theora/demo_video.py - FAIL (No theora? Come on ;) )

It doesn't compile, hence not included.

> * ogreforests/Demo_Forest_01.py - FAIL (import error; undefined
> symbol in Boost::PythonIndex)

I'll fix this problem in the next release.

> * qgui/Demo_QuickGUI01.py - FAIL (no module quickgui)

QuickGUI doesn't compile.

> I'd also like to note that many .material scripts seem to be
> incorrect / unrecognizable.

This may be related to cg issues. I don't know enough about 3d to know
however.

> Also there's one RuntimeWarning concerning C API version mismatch
> (versions 1012 and versions 1013), perhaps it makes more sense to you.

The C API version mismatch is caused by using a different version of
Python then included in Ubuntu.

> OgreAL demo seems to crash very soon after starting but I didn't feel
> like creating another log.

Known problem with the older OpenAL that ships with Ubuntu/Debian. Yet
to figure out a work around.

> Until next time!

<snip>

Jeff

Oct 27, 2008, 1:47:15 AM10/27/08
to Python Ogre Developers
Hello,

I switched back to the thousandparsec repo and it's working fine.

By the way, is there a chance of including more of the addons in the
.deb? In particular, it'd be great to have caelum and hydrax.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Tim Ansell

Nov 3, 2008, 2:26:06 PM11/3/08
On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 22:47 -0700, Jeff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I switched back to the thousandparsec repo and it's working fine.

That is great to here.

> By the way, is there a chance of including more of the addons in the
> .deb? In particular, it'd be great to have caelum and hydrax.

I have not had any time to do further work on this packaging. I welcome
patches however :)

> Thanks again,
> Jeff

Tim