PyNW May Event

Lucy

May 12, 2022, 3:35:01 PM5/12/22
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
Our May event will be 'SQL and Python: The Workshop' with Jonathan Stott.

For more details and access to the event, sign up on Meetup.

Following on from last month’s talk, we’ll be exploring SnakeReads (definitely not a rip off of goodreads.com). Our very own place to keep track of books we’ve read and reviews we have, stored in a sqlite database. Learn how to write your own SQL queries to view and edit this data, and how to run the queries using Python. Please note, this workshop will focus on the SQL and running it from Python, rather than “How do you write a website like goodreads”.

The workshop will be led by Jonathan Stott. Jonathan is Head of Data Engineering for Evergreen Life, and has been working as a data person for longer than he cares to think about right now. To distract himself from this, he tries to cycle a lot and go for long walks in the countryside.

To get the most out of the session, you'll need to join using a laptop/desktop rather than a tablet. We’ll be using SQLite Browser for our SQL queries and viewing the SQLite database. There are install instructions on the website if you’d like to get it set up ahead of time. You’ll also need a Python environment and a code editor, such as VS Code.

Please note, this month we’re using Jitsi rather than Zoom. This can be used via the browser. Use of video and screen sharing is recommended during the breakout sessions.

Our sessions are greatly aided by people volunteering to talk, if you'd like to do that, please get in touch.

Thanks
Lucy