Talks for 2017

Rowan Hargreaves

Feb 11, 2017, 5:40:52 AM2/11/17
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

As some of you may be aware I have not been around that much recently due to increased family commitments.

So Scott Walton and Tom Cooper have volunteered to take over the running of Python NE - a massive thanks to them.

I will still be around but with three little ones it is not always possible to make it to the meetings.

We have Alex Kavanagh giving a talk next month. But after that we have an empty roster.

So now is your opportunity to ask for particular topics to hear about.

Here are some things I would like to hear about:
- hypothesis / property based testing
- architecture
- any NN / ML stuff (in particular feature detection)
- Blaze
- immutable data structures in Python
- PyPy
- Pixie
- message brokers (Rabbit MQ etc)

Anyone else got any requests?

Cheers
Rowan

Alex Kavanagh

Feb 18, 2017, 7:10:27 AM2/18/17
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on your ever-growing (almost) 5-aside team!  I'm looking forward to (doing) the next meeting, and would also like to throw some ideas into the ring about things I'd like to hear about.

Firstly, if you want to hear me talk about rabbitmq + pika then happy to give that a whirl along with celery as a popular message broker.  But that won't be the month after!

So, other topics that are interesting (or might be):

  • Crossover: using grumpy to compile Python into golang
  • Hands-on: learning how to use the Python Notebook (Jypter) - which now also has other runtimes.
  • Integrating into evohome using Python (a bit personal, as I have an evohome and it's a project that I want to do at some point)
  • Programming paradigms: why Object Orientation shouldn't be your go-to approach to solving a problem.
  • Writing clean code: avoiding hacking it all together; also "how to structure your code".  (i.e. recognising when code is in the wrong place; abstraction leakage
  • Python 3 type annotations and what you can do with them.
  • ...
I could go on.  I won't :)

Cheers
Alex.

Rowan

Alex Kavanagh
@ajkavanagh

Alan Sunny

Feb 23, 2017, 10:38:37 AM2/23/17
to Python North East
Hi, am quite new to Python, excited as well! Would be nice if someone could setup a talk that can be useful for beginners in Python.

Alex Kavanagh

Feb 24, 2017, 2:24:08 PM2/24/17
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan

On 23 February 2017 at 10:38, Alan Sunny <talk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, am quite new to Python, excited as well! Would be nice if someone could setup a talk that can be useful for beginners in Python.

Well, firstly, welcome to the easiest and friendliest of the scripting/programming languages!

It's very, very tricky doing a talk that is suitable for raw beginners and the python regulars.  The good news is that Python is a very accessible language and people are always there to explain any concepts.  So don't let being a beginner put you off coming to the talks.

Also, a friend of mine, via Campus North does do a "Python for beginners" course, but I'm not sure when it next runs.

Look forward to meeting you soon.
Cheers
Alex.

On Saturday, 11 February 2017 10:40:52 UTC, Rowan Hargreaves wrote:
[...]

Scott Walton

Feb 27, 2017, 5:58:26 AM2/27/17
to Python North East
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the community! As Alex said, there's plenty of people of varying skill levels at Python NE. If you have any specific ideas/requests, then feel free to grab me before or after the talks.

I hope to see you there on 8th March!

Cheers,
Scott