Crack Potatoes Cream Of Chicken

Antonette Hespe

Dec 23, 2023, 4:50:40 AM12/23/23
to Python-MIP

Easy chicken and potato dishes are a great way to use up pantry staples like potatoes and herbs and freezer staples, like plain old boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Putting these two together in a rich, creamy dijon sauce is a great idea, honestly.

Crack Potatoes Cream Of Chicken

Download File https://t.co/li7lxjtw9G

Next, take out your large, oven-safe skillet and melt the butter over medium heat. Drizzle in another tablespoon of oil and stir.

Put the chicken on one half of the skillet and the potatoes on the other half. Let everything cook for 3-4 minutes on this first side, then flip just the chicken to let it brown on the other side another 3-4 minutes. Take both the chicken and the potatoes off the skillet and put them on a plate. Cover and keep them warm while you make the cream sauce for chicken.

To prepare the sauce, use the same skillet you cooked the chicken and potatoes in and add more butter to melt over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until it gets nice and fragrant. Add to the butter/garlic mixture the chicken broth, dijon mustard, and heavy cream, salt, and pepper and whisk it all together. Take a second to bask in the heavenly scent of this sauce.

Finally, add the chicken and potatoes back to the pan and give the sauce a good toss/spooning around the chicken and potatoes so that they can retain their moisture while they finish cooking in the oven.

Put the whole pan in the oven and finish baking for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are fork-tender. Take the pan out of the oven when the chicken is done and spoon the dijon sauce over the chicken and potatoes and garnish with more black pepper and some fresh herbs if you like!

The mild, creamy, slightly starchy texture of white potatoes makes them perfect for this recipe. They also hold their shape well, so even though we're cooking them for awhile here and then covering them in the creeeeeeeamiest sauce, you're still going to have well-defined pieces of potato (rather than an accidentally-sort-of-mashed-but-not-in-the-good-way potatoes situation, because yikes).

Also, I don't know about you, but I almost ALWAYS have potatoes in my pantry - which means recipes like this one are ultra-convenient even when I haven't had time to go to the store. Just use the potatoes and sauce as a base, and customize this recipe with whatever else you have on hand! (Broccoli, arugula, roasted butternut squash, and cauliflower are some of my favorite additions so far).

I used chicken thighs for this recipe because it's what I usually have on hand, but you can use any cut of chicken you like! I'd recommend sticking with skinless because the skin can get rubbery when it sits in the sauce too long, but you could use bone-in thighs, chicken breasts, or anything else you have on hand!

The exact consistency of your sauce can vary, and everyone has different preferences, so don't worry if it doesn't look perfect yet! Try one of these tricks to adapt the sauce to your liking: If you'd like a thicker sauce, make a bit more cornstarch slurry. If you'd like more sauce, you can increase the amount of chicken stock in the recipe. Less sauce? Decrease the amount of stock and cream. To thin the sauce out, add an extra splash of stock or milk.

Been making this since the pandemic started and it's the ultimate comfort food. i add a little more chicken stock and heavy whipping cream because i love extra sauce. thank you for making one of my favorite recipes ever.

If you are confident you can use a knife and chopping board and slice them on the side. Alternatively you can used a Mandolin (affiliate link) to get the perfect thickness slices. I don't bother to peel the potatoes. If you're using baby new potatoes like I have, then you don't notice the skin.

If you like your creamy chicken dinners, try my Chicken and Mushroom Pie, Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Casserole (I think that would work great as an alternative base for this potato-topped recipe too), Creamy Chicken & Tortellini Soup, Tuscan Chicken or my favourite Creamy Chicken Puff Pie.

Hands down one of my faves!! I have made it multiple times. I have added mushrooms, used broth instead of wine, doubled the Dijon and garlic, and I salt and pepper the potatoes on top with sprinkled Parmesan. Amazing made the original way and amazing if you mix it up too!

Made a lower fat version substituting chicken stock and yoghurt for the cream and omitting the butter, using some of the grated cheese on top. Also used leek in place of carrot. worked really well with seared fresh chicken breasts and a longer cooking time.

I agree with Craig below - I think this is one of the best meals I've ever cooked! Absolutely delicious, and really easy to make. I didn't have any cooked chicken so poached raw chicken breasts in chicken stock over a low heat for 10 minutes, which worked fine. I will be making this regularly, thank you!

Thanks Sharon, yes, it should should freeze fine. Defrost in the refrigerator and heat back through in the oven until piping hot. It's a good idea to top with foil up until the last couple of minutes of reheating to stop the potatoes browning too much.

This was delicious but I'd make a few tweaks if I make it next time.
I only had fresh thyme so I used that in it, I'm not sue I enjoyed the flavour so may omit it next time. I increased the Dijon to a tbsp and I could only mildly taste it with all the cream in the recipe. I'd reduce the parmesan next time too as it was a little too much.
Thank you for the recipe xx

DELICIOUS! I used 3-4 thin sliced chicken breast, cayenne pepper instead of black pepper, 1/2 potatoes recommended considering another review to double the sauce. So good! Only other thing I personally would do differently is add more spinach.Thank you for sharing!

This turned out really good. My husband said it was delicious. I made it as stated except for putting the cut up potatoes mixed with a little olive oil on a baking sheet and in the oven while I made the rest. I cooked the combined ingredients for 30 minutes at 400 degrees and it was perfect.

Super Delicious! I added a little chicken broth to bottom of dish before pouring the cream sauce b/c I was nervous about undercooked potatoes and it was fine/delicious. Also used 2%milk instead of 1/2&1/2. Probably tripled the garlic. :-). Will definitely be adding this to the rotation.

No changes whatsoever to this recipe (with the exception of just cooking the potatoes while I prep). Though I have done this with boneless, skinless chicken breasts with just as amazing results. I usually have to double or triple this recipe because this is one of the few dishes everyone wants leftovers of the next day.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT RECIPE! After reading several comments, I decided to air fry my potatoes before placing them in the dish with the other ingredients. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter. So good. Will definitely add to my list of go-to cold weather meals.

Absolutely fabulous! I got a head start on the potatoes while I cooked the chicken and made it lactose free with olive oil instead of butter and Full fat lactose free milk instead of cream. Delicious a definite keeper! Thank you so much!

This was AMAZING! always looking for quick and easy things to fill my hubby. I boiled the potatoes for about 20 minutes before and it was perfect. Definitely keeping this in rotation and next time I might try boneless chicken thighs just to get that same delicious meat without cutting around the bone.

It was SO delicious! The only thing I would do differently next time is use skinless chicken thighs. You can make the skin nice and crispy before they go into the sauce but as soon as they do it gets soggy from soaking it in.

Made this last night and it was so delicious. I used smaller Yukon gold potatoes and quartered them. I did find they were not cooked enough when the chicken was ready to be removed. What I did was remove the chicken from the pan and place them on a plate and put the potatoes in the pan with sauce back in the oven for about 15 more minutes until they were fork tender. It worked out perfectly and was soooo yummy. I will definitely make this again.

I think that is the difference between chicken thighs and breast meat. The dark meat never dries out, while the white meat will still get dry cooking in the sauce. What a great way to solve the problem though; taking the meat out and letting the potatoes finish is golden! Great idea. Thanks.

Delicious! I used boneless skinless chicken thighs and I boiled the red potatoes before adding them to the dish and everything turned out perfectly. I cooked the dish for 30-35 min and chicken was cooked thoroughly and still juicy. I will definitely make again.

Made this tonight for Sunday dinner. Amazing! Followed the suggestions of others. Cut my potatoes and put them in the oven while I cooked the chicken and made the sauce. Ended up using more chicken stock than a cup. And I used 2 chicken breasts that I cut in half. Potatoes were done just right with 25 more minutes in the oven.
My sister said she would make this gluten free for her wife and son.

This chicken dish is so good, I used chicken breast and they were as moist as a thigh would have been. My girls, 13 and 14 ate every bite and sopped up the juice with Bunny Bread! So Damn Delicious!!!

This was amazing! 100% would make this again. On the recommendation of others in the comments, I parboiled the potatoes for 10 minutes before adding to the dish for baking. Might even do 15 minutes next time as the dish needed 10-15 minutes longer. Sauce came together easily and was SO tasty. A squeeze of lemon juice might take it up a notch to a touch of acidity. Amazing recipe and excellent for company!

Absolutly love this!! Done it with thighs, it is the best. Chicken breasts and tenders also legs turn out great too ( may have to adjust timing slightly). Baby dutch potatoes (red or gold) are the best. Russetts are fine but cut them small, or they will not cook all the way (especially with tenders and breasts). We LOVE this meal, and love having it every time. Thank you so much for this recipe!

0aad45d008