New keyring backend by Michael

Kang Zhang

Dec 22, 2009, 11:13:34 AM12/22/09
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Michael made a nice keyring backend for the Windows Credential
Manager (aka "Windows Vault" on Windows 7).

The backend can be found at
http://bitbucket.org/michaelgruenewald/python-keyring-lib/

He said he'd like to see that backend be pulled in to the python
keyring lib and I think it's really a good idea to have a Win7 keyring.

As I am fighting with my final exam now, the integration is scheduled
on next month, with some other new features prepared for version
0.3.

Any new feature for v0.3 is missing? just leave a message in this
thread or start a ticket on bitbucket~ :-P

Thanks,

Kang

Kang Zhang

Computer Science Dept.
Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Tarek Ziadé

Dec 22, 2009, 11:19:34 AM12/22/09
to python-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Kang Zhang <job...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Michael made a nice keyring backend for the Windows Credential
> Manager (aka "Windows Vault" on Windows 7).
>
> The backend can be found at
> http://bitbucket.org/michaelgruenewald/python-keyring-lib/
>
> He said he'd like to see that backend be pulled in to the python
> keyring lib and I think it's really a good idea to have a Win7 keyring.

+1

BTW I received a bitbucket fork warning, and I've told Michael that we could
probably integrate his changes after a small change on his commit.

The change makes sure the wincrypto backend stays the preferred one
if win32cred cannot be found.

> As I am fighting with my final exam now, the integration is scheduled
> on next month, with some other new features prepared for version
> 0.3.
>
> Any new feature for v0.3 is missing? just leave a message in this
> thread or start a ticket on bitbucket~ :-P

btw, If you havn't seen it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/ah78t/pythonkeyring_is_seriously_nice/

Cheers
Tarek

Kang Zhang

Dec 22, 2009, 11:31:15 AM12/22/09
to python-...@googlegroups.com
> BTW I received a bitbucket fork warning, and I've told Michael that we could
> probably integrate his changes after a small change on his commit.
>
> The change makes sure the wincrypto backend stays the preferred one
> if win32cred cannot be found.

Good point~

Thanks, I've read it from the plant. :-)

Marcin Kasperski

Dec 22, 2009, 11:41:38 AM12/22/09
to python-...@googlegroups.com
> Any new feature for v0.3 is missing? just leave a message in this
> thread or start a ticket on bitbucket~ :-P

I've heard from Jonathan Wight (schwa on bitbucket) that he spotted some
OS/X-related problems and reported them (looks like
http://bitbucket.org/kang/python-keyring-lib/issue/11/should-not-use-loginkeychain-on-osx
is one of those problems). Maybe they are worth a look
(well, I just spotted that Jonathan created his keyring fork, so maybe
he is to work on a patch)

>From the "general" backend ideas, I feel it would be nice to have some
solution for shell-based (non GUI) environments which would not require
retyping keyring password on every command. But I have no idea how to
resolve it. Are there any "agents" for shell environments?