Labeling passwords in seahorse (or question about API choice)

Marcin Kasperski

Jan 13, 2010, 5:16:53 PM1/13/10
to python-keyring
All passwords saved by keyring library to Gnome keyring are labeled
by seahorse as "network password", while other passwords are cleary
labelled there. For example, currently I see in my seahorse sth like:

(...)
Password for account jabber0
Password for account jabber1
smtp://mejkejk;auth=PL...@smtp.gmail.com
network password
network password
network password
network password
Desktop Couch user authentication
network password
network password
UbuntuOne token for https://ubuntuone.com
network password
network password
(...)

where all those "network passwords" are saved by our keyring library.

This is a problem, as it makes removing passwords, or even checking
what is saved, difficult or impossible.

I have never used gnome-keyring APIs, but at a quick glance it seems
to me to be a consequence of using
gnome_keyring_set_network_password_sync and
gnome_keyring_get_network_password_sync for password storage.
There are other APIs - like
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-keyring/stable/gnome-keyring-gnome-keyring-password.html#gnome-keyring-store-password-sync
- which let one set the "display name" of the password.

I considered playing a little bit with them, but first I would like to
ask, what was the rationale behind the current choice?