PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8 error message

David Liebman

Aug 4, 2015, 4:28:38 PM8/4/15
to Py4A
It seems I have a problem related to this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16871799/trying-to-import-a-module-undefined-symbol-pyunicodeucs4-decodeutf8

The actual error I get looks like this:

failed to import Cython: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Cython/Compiler/Scanning.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8

This occurs when the buildozer program is working on compiling pyjnius. Can someone point me to a solution? Days ago I could compile simple py4a apps. I would like to have the ability to use numpy in the end. I am using ubuntu 14.10. My system is 64 bit.

Thanks.

sinku...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2015, 7:41:35 PM8/4/15
to Py4A
What are you trying?
use Cython? link to ubuntu? not for android-ndk?
‎If you are try to cross compile pyjnius, it is so aggressive for me.
please tell us your command step by step.

David Liebman

Aug 5, 2015, 8:41:19 AM8/5/15
to Py4A
hi.

first I go to github and get the 'git pull' URL for python for android, and I go to my work space and download it. then I go to another directory and type 'buildozer init'. I edit the buildozer.spec file so that it points to the py4a directory. then I execute 'buildozer -v android debug'.

in the spec file I tell it to build 'kivy==master,numpy'

from reading the stackoverflow.com question I would think that the problem has to do with the fact that I am using amd64 but I thought that py4a compiled it's own version of python for the arm environment. I don't think that the problem has to do with pyjnius much. I think it was just the first thing that crashed.

I hope that this is enough info to start.

David Liebman

Aug 9, 2015, 4:11:07 PM8/9/15
to Py4A
I needed to (1) erase '.buildozer/' from my home directory and my working directory, (2) remove and replace my 'python-for-android' folder and all its contents, and (3) use 'sudo pip install -U cython' and 'sudo apt-get remove cython' to make sure I was using the most recent version of cython... 0.23. Then buildozer would build my test app.