preliminary python-xlrd Debian package available

Joost van Baal

May 22, 2007, 4:44:50 AM5/22/07
to python...@googlegroups.com, 366...@bugs.debian.org
Hi,

I've made a Debian package for xlrd. You can get it from:

deb[-src] http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian etch python-xlrd

Please note that this package is _not_ suitable for production use.
It's still pretty rough on the edges, see
/usr/share/doc/python-xlrd/TODO*.

Anyway, it might be usable for people using xlrd on Debian GNU/Linux
(or Ubuntu) anyhow.

Bye,

Joost

--
Joost van Baal http://abramowitz.uvt.nl/
Tilburg University

signature.asc

John Machin

May 22, 2007, 4:55:17 PM5/22/07
to python-excel

On May 22, 6:44 pm, Joost van Baal <J.E.vanBaal+python-

excel=googlegroups....@uvt.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made a Debian package for xlrd. You can get it from:
>
> deb[-src] http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian etch python-xlrd

Hi Joost,

That's great ... using xlrd 0.6.1a4, I see from the filenames. Note
that 0.6.1 final will be out "real soon now" :-)

> Please note that this package is _not_ suitable for production use.
> It's still pretty rough on the edges, see
> /usr/share/doc/python-xlrd/TODO*.

I haven't got around to reading "Debian packages for dummies" yet :-)
so I don't even know which of the 6 or so files visible from the URL
you gave would contain TODO* files. Can you give us a brief precis of
what is rough about your packaging? Is there anything I can/should do
to the contents of the distutils-produced zip file that would help
you?

Cheers,
John

Joost van Baal

May 23, 2007, 1:14:14 AM5/23/07
to python...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 01:55:17PM -0700, John Machin wrote:
> On May 22, 6:44 pm, Joost van Baal <J.E.vanBaal+python-
> excel=googlegroups....@uvt.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I've made a Debian package for xlrd. You can get it from:
> >
> > deb[-src] http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian etch python-xlrd
>

> That's great ... using xlrd 0.6.1a4, I see from the filenames. Note
> that 0.6.1 final will be out "real soon now" :-)

Nice!

> > Please note that this package is _not_ suitable for production use.
> > It's still pretty rough on the edges, see
> > /usr/share/doc/python-xlrd/TODO*.
>
> I haven't got around to reading "Debian packages for dummies" yet :-)
> so I don't even know which of the 6 or so files visible from the URL
> you gave would contain TODO* files.

http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian/etch/python-xlrd/pool/python-xlrd_0.6.1a4-1.diff.gz
contains my work; you can view that to get my TODO file.
(http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian/etch/python-xlrd/pool/python-xlrd_0.6.1a4-1_all.deb
is what people would install.)

> Can you give us a brief precis of
> what is rough about your packaging? Is there anything I can/should do
> to the contents of the distutils-produced zip file that would help
> you?

Well, I don't have much time to look at it closely (or come up with a
suggestion for a fix), but it seems runxlrd.py gets installed as
/usr/local/bin/runxlrd.py. It would be nice if it would get installed
as /usr/local/bin/runxlrd, and if it would contain a line
#!/usr/bin/python. No manpage for this script gets installed; does your
zip-file contain a manpage for it?

Currently, installing the Debian package leads to an executable
/usr/bin/runxlrd.py which cannot be run in the normal way. That's the
biggest bug. The other bugs are minor, and should be fixed by me (or
anybody else interested in Debian packaging.)

There's one more thing which would be nice to have: an upstream xlrd
packaged in a .tar.gz (not a .zip). That would make it easier for the
security-aware people to check integrity of upstream sources as
redistributed by Debian.

But be aware: I don't have the time to maintain this package. In it's
current form, it's good enough for me. Perhaps some other Debian-person
could continue the work; it seems there's some interest in python-xlrd
in Debian (see http://bugs.debian.org/366137 ).

Thanks for your reply!

signature.asc

John Machin

May 23, 2007, 6:02:19 PM5/23/07
to python...@googlegroups.com
On 23/05/2007 3:14 PM, Joost van Baal wrote:
> Hi John,

>> Can you give us a brief precis of
>> what is rough about your packaging? Is there anything I can/should do
>> to the contents of the distutils-produced zip file that would help
>> you?
>
> Well, I don't have much time to look at it closely (or come up with a
> suggestion for a fix), but it seems runxlrd.py gets installed as
> /usr/local/bin/runxlrd.py. It would be nice if it would get installed
> as /usr/local/bin/runxlrd, and if it would contain a line
> #!/usr/bin/python.

"It would be nice if" doesn't actually answer the question. I'll guess
that a packager could rename runxlrd.py as runxlrd if that would be more
suitable on *x systems [it wouldn't be so suitable on Windows], and
that I could ensure that .py files intended to be run as scripts
contained a *x-magic comment.

> No manpage for this script gets installed; does your
> zip-file contain a manpage for it?

No, and it's unlikely to. Any effort applied in that direction will be
put into its --help output. In any case, I don't understand the
question; presumably "packaging" requires a possession of a copy of the
zip-file -- are you constrained by Debian packaging standards not to
inspect it, e.g. like a blindfold wine-tasting?

> Currently, installing the Debian package leads to an executable
> /usr/bin/runxlrd.py which cannot be run in the normal way. That's the
> biggest bug. The other bugs are minor, and should be fixed by me (or
> anybody else interested in Debian packaging.)
>
> There's one more thing which would be nice to have: an upstream xlrd
> packaged in a .tar.gz (not a .zip). That would make it easier for the
> security-aware people to check integrity of upstream sources as
> redistributed by Debian.

Background: I used to make a .tar.gz available. This was created by
distutils on Windows. Some *x users reported "permission problems", even
when logged on as "root". I tried using a different Windows port of tar.
Same story. I stopped publishing a .tar.gz file, leaving only the .zip
format and the Windows installer, and have had no further communications
from *x users about difficulties installing xlrd.

If a packager for a particular platform thinks that another distribution
format (say .xyz) would be nice to have, they can take the .zip file,
produce a .xyz file, check that it works on that platform, and then send
it to me for publication along with the other distribution formats.

> But be aware: I don't have the time to maintain this package. In it's
> current form, it's good enough for me. Perhaps some other Debian-person
> could continue the work; it seems there's some interest in python-xlrd
> in Debian (see http://bugs.debian.org/366137 ).

Any effort applied is welcome; thanks. Let's hope your work comes to the
attention of someone who can take it to the next stage.

Cheers,
John

Joost van Baal

May 24, 2007, 3:12:35 AM5/24/07
to python...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 08:02:19AM +1000, John Machin wrote:
> On 23/05/2007 3:14 PM, Joost van Baal wrote:
> >
> >> Can you give us a brief precis of
> >> what is rough about your packaging? Is there anything I can/should do
> >> to the contents of the distutils-produced zip file that would help
> >> you?
> >
> > Well, I don't have much time to look at it closely (or come up with a
> > suggestion for a fix), but it seems runxlrd.py gets installed as
> > /usr/local/bin/runxlrd.py. It would be nice if it would get installed
> > as /usr/local/bin/runxlrd, and if it would contain a line
> > #!/usr/bin/python.
>
> "It would be nice if" doesn't actually answer the question. I'll guess
> that a packager could rename runxlrd.py

Yes, of course.

> as runxlrd if that would be more
> suitable on *x systems [it wouldn't be so suitable on Windows],

Oops, indeed, I didn't think of this portability issue.

> and
> that I could ensure that .py files intended to be run as scripts
> contained a *x-magic comment.

I've created a new Debian package (python-xlrd 0.6.1a4-2, on "deb[-src]
http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian etch python-xlrd") which comes with a
simple wrapper:

#!/bin/sh
exec python /usr/share/python-xlrd/runxlrd.py $@

. This solves both the .py extension and the missing #!/usr/bin/python.
Perhaps this is the cleanest way to deal with it.

> > No manpage for this script gets installed; does your
> > zip-file contain a manpage for it?
>
> No, and it's unlikely to. Any effort applied in that direction will be
> put into its --help output. In any case, I don't understand the
> question; presumably "packaging" requires a possession of a copy of the
> zip-file -- are you constrained by Debian packaging standards not to
> inspect it, e.g. like a blindfold wine-tasting?

Sorry, I should've taken more time before replying, and look into
the .zip for the manpage.

Anyway, I've written a manpage, it's attached. You can view it as HTML
at http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian/etch/python-xlrd/tmp/runxlrd(1).html .
(The new Debian package installs this manpage.)

> > Currently, installing the Debian package leads to an executable
> > /usr/bin/runxlrd.py which cannot be run in the normal way. That's the
> > biggest bug. The other bugs are minor, and should be fixed by me (or
> > anybody else interested in Debian packaging.)
> >
> > There's one more thing which would be nice to have: an upstream xlrd
> > packaged in a .tar.gz (not a .zip). That would make it easier for the
> > security-aware people to check integrity of upstream sources as
> > redistributed by Debian.
>
> Background: I used to make a .tar.gz available. This was created by
> distutils on Windows. Some *x users reported "permission problems", even
> when logged on as "root". I tried using a different Windows port of tar.
> Same story. I stopped publishing a .tar.gz file, leaving only the .zip
> format and the Windows installer, and have had no further communications
> from *x users about difficulties installing xlrd.
>
> If a packager for a particular platform thinks that another distribution
> format (say .xyz) would be nice to have, they can take the .zip file,
> produce a .xyz file, check that it works on that platform, and then send
> it to me for publication along with the other distribution formats.

You can fetch a copy of your zip file, converted to .tar.gz, from
http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/debian/etch/python-xlrd/pool/python-xlrd_0.6.1a4.orig.tar.gz .
If some *x user complains about it, you can sent him to me :)

> > But be aware: I don't have the time to maintain this package. In it's
> > current form, it's good enough for me. Perhaps some other Debian-person
> > could continue the work; it seems there's some interest in python-xlrd
> > in Debian (see http://bugs.debian.org/366137 ).
> >

> Any effort applied is welcome; thanks. Let's hope your work comes to the
> attention of someone who can take it to the next stage.

That's the intention, indeed.

Thanks, Bye,

runxlrd.1
signature.asc