Recommended Django book.

camara

Apr 7, 2014, 9:00:07 PM4/7/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys,

I just got this book from the states a few weeks ago and I'm half way thought it, it's a very good read for any Django developer, I highly recommend it.

This edition of the book is only a printed version, no Ebook, so I had to order it, totally worth it.

Tamer Higazi

Apr 7, 2014, 9:45:10 PM4/7/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Or the original free of charge edition:

http://www.djangobook.com/en/2.0/index.html

that has everything you need. :)

Tamer

Mustafa Eid

Apr 7, 2014, 9:47:29 PM4/7/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Actually like it says on the home page of this book > " the vast majority of the book is for Django version 1.0, which was released over four years ago. Therefore this resource is extremely out of date and, until the book is finished being updated, we ask that, at this time, djangobook.com not be used for educational purposes."

Mustafa

Mustafa Eid

Apr 7, 2014, 9:50:38 PM4/7/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
The book I mentioned is more of a "best practices" book not about how Django works and what it can and can't do,

Mustafa

Tamer Higazi

Apr 7, 2014, 10:23:04 PM4/7/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Mustafa,
Sorry to say this, please don't take it seriously having a different opinion and I tend to be very honest.

Most developers who really learn Django, never buy "Django Books".
All possible scenarios can't be played out in a single book.

Like Djano, Pyramid make use heavily with Regular Expressions for making SEO compliant urls, which you would have to do on apache with mod_rewrite.

Dealing with requests, Django, Pyramid, Zope all of them make use of the WebOb package.

I know it sounds hard, but then I heavily advise that the participant has to get through Python from A-Z (no need for python 3 yet) first, before heading towards a Web Framework.

And the other question, why everybody is so hot about DJANGO ?????
Because the "Americans" are using it heavily (doesn't have to mean anything) ?!

I prefer long time tested stacks, like pylons which is built on the top of zope with an extensive set of security.
And if I really want to use a ORM Layer, take SQLAlchemy. Why making yourself dependent from a single software stack ????

When I jumped from Java to Python almost 6 years ago. I red this book, which I really recommend:

http://www.apress.com/programming/python/9781590599822

for other's who want to dive deep, I advise this:

https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/2069

If you really master Design Pattern, regular expressions out of the box, and understand request, response from the WebOb stack, specially how to identify xhr and websocket calls, then nothing stops you!

.... but however, at the very end, this is something everybody has to decide for him/herself.

Tamer

mosab...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 5:25:45 AM4/8/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Oh boy!

I really don't know if honest is being transformed to offensiveness in translation from German to English, or is that really a personal trait you got :)

Who the hell decided that real Django developers don't buy books?!! Books are an essential part of learning!

For example, the author you are suggesting that we read his "Pro Python" book has another "Pro Django" book! :)

Yeah I agree with you that Python understanding will make it a lot easier, but people still buy books! And it is not just one book, it is many books that cover the topic from many angles.

Also, I respect your loyalty to Pylons, but why the hell convert each and every topic about any other python technology to Pylons?!

Oh, and thanks for the links.

----------------------
Mosab Ahmad

Entrepreneur in the make

Cell : +201119942443
E-mail : mosab...@gmail.com
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/mosab
github : https://github.com/mos3abof

Tamer Higazi

Apr 8, 2014, 5:31:21 AM4/8/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Mossab,
The German language is a strong language. This is how we express ourself in Germany, and often being misunderstood.

It wasn't my idea of being rude in any matter. By the way, I (found) a link in the Internet with some good books......
I will make it all of you available, and send it to you seperatly! :)

By this evening I will send out some stuff to you.

PS: You will like it...

Tamer

mosab...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 5:39:56 AM4/8/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Please share them here on the list :)

----------------------
Mosab Ahmad

Entrepreneur in the make

Cell : +201119942443
E-mail : mosab...@gmail.com
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/mosab
github : https://github.com/mos3abof

Tamer Higazi

Apr 8, 2014, 5:48:56 AM4/8/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mosab,
Sorry, not possible..... I'll make it for you available, not in the list.
(for good reason) <---- you will know why.

Bye :)

Tamer

Mustafa Eid

Apr 8, 2014, 11:49:53 AM4/8/14
to pyth...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mosab, Books are essential to all developers.