Using an older version of doit for python 3.7

Jeremiah Darais

Jun 30, 2023, 8:45:36 AM6/30/23
to python-doit
Hi all,

I'm investigating tools to run tasks and automate build steps in various python projects at my company, and doit seems like a great option.  (Other options we have been looking at are using GNU make, or just consolidating the projects into a monorepo and using Pants.)

The one caveat for us is that our python projects are still using python 3.7, and it looks like doit dropped support for python 3.7 with the 0.35.0 release.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on what I would be signing up for in supporting an older version of doit for my company's python projects?  I'm assuming if there was some bug fix we needed that was in the latest release of doit, I would need to back-port that fix to a 0.34.x version myself.  It doesn't look like the doit repository maintains release branches, so would a PR for a back-ported fix for a 0.34.x version be considered, or would I essentially need to maintain and build packages from a private fork of the repository?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Hopefully we can migrate off of python 3.7 at some point, which then allow us to just use the latest version of doit.  Thanks for creating an awesome tool.

Thanks,
Jeremiah